Another boat dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ahhh, of course, that makes sense. As you can tell, I have never done a boat dive (yet)
All these points are very good. If it is not covered in the briefing, ask.
I always let the dm know when I am leaving the group as a courtesy even if it isn't required. they usually give me a nod and point the direction back to the boat.
You are going to love boat diving, with or without a dm.

The boats I occasionally work for conduct our dives while anchored or made up to a mooring buoy. The dive briefs give enough information for everyone to find their way back to the anchor or mooring ball sinker, and they cover expectations for gas management. We generally do not dive as a herd. For our kind of diving, not only is your plan acceptable, it's expected. Certified divers should be able to plan and execute our simple, shallow dives by themselves.

The official policy is that if you want a DM to hold your hand, you're expected to pay in advance to hire a personal guide. The reality is that the less confident divers follow me and the others dive as independent pairs. As long as confidence and ability correlate, everything goes well. My proteges generally have the shorter dives, so they're aboard and the deck is clear by the time the experienced divers return.

That makes him/her/it a deckhand, not a divemaster.

One of the things that surprised me most in the divemaster class was the discussion in the book about deciding where the DM should "lead" the dive from: leading while not in the water was presented as a viable option when doing so gives the best vantage. Never seen it done that way, but it's in the book.

The boats I occasionally work for conduct our dives while anchored or made up to a mooring buoy. The dive briefs give enough information for everyone to find their way back to the anchor or mooring ball sinker, and they cover expectations for gas management. We generally do not dive as a herd. For our kind of diving, not only is your plan acceptable, it's expected. Certified divers should be able to plan and execute our simple, shallow dives by themselves.

The official policy is that if you want a DM to hold your hand, you're expected to pay in advance to hire a personal guide. The reality is that the less confident divers follow me and the others dive as independent pairs. As long as confidence and ability correlate, everything goes well. My proteges generally have the shorter dives, so they're aboard and the deck is clear by the time the experienced divers return.

One of the things that surprised me most in the divemaster class was the discussion in the book about deciding where the DM should "lead" the dive from: leading while not in the water was presented as a viable option when doing so gives the best vantage. Never seen it done that way, but it's in the book.
I would say the book is wrong, but then, I have strong feelings about the book.

Since the OP is brand new to boat diving with guides, one other thing to keep in mind is that some guides / DM's will try to stretch a dive to make everyone in the group happy or show you "one more thing". If it's time to go up, go up. They're not the one who will be anxious and out of air, that'll be you.

Private guides are an option already mentioned in this thread, and one worth considering. They do cost, but they're handy if you want to go at your own pace, need a little extra attention, or you're unfamiliar with a dive site.

Boat diving is a lot of fun, and everyone seems to do it differently. From outrigger canoes with outboard motors to 20+ diver boats with lifts, they're all good.

Lance

That makes him/her/it a deckhand, not a divemaster.
Just a matter of terms. When I took the PADI DM course it specifically describes DMs as either people who participate in the dive itself, or "supervise" from the boat--with the idea that they find an area where they may see bubbles, and also possibly assist someone onto the boat who ends the dive early, etc. -- that sort of thing, along with the usual dive briefings. PADI's definitions, not mine.

ahhh, of course, that makes sense. As you can tell, I have never done a boat dive (yet)

What others say: listen to the briefing and ask questions if need be.

The basic plan with anchored boat (or a shore) reef dive is you try to swim against the current till half tank, then turn back (and maybe go shallower too) so you'd arrive at the anchor with enough gas to complete your safety stop. However it depends on the site.

On a drift dive the DM (or the divers) will pop the SMB when the first of the group comes up for their safety stop. They may ask for everyone to come up together and stay together for pick up, esp. if there's a bit of a chop. They may not, and have people come up separately in pairs instead.

If the boat does not normally put a DM in the water, you may want to pay for the DM. Esp. if you don't have a more experienced buddy, but even if you do: the DM will usually know the site and will point out the critters etc.

All things considered, in your place I would hire a DM, or start a thread in the region you are going to find a buddy from Scubaboard.

I was doing shore dives when traveling, and PM'd some members I had high regard for online and asked if they could show me the local conditions, had a great time and met some good people, of course I bought the adult beverages.

All things considered, in your place I would hire a DM, or start a thread in the region you are going to find a buddy from Scubaboard.

I was doing shore dives when traveling, and PM'd some members I had high regard for online and asked if they could show me the local conditions, had a great time and met some good people, of course I bought the adult beverages.
Agree. Several times I have been successful finding buddies via SB's area forums.

I did my first post-certification dives while "my" dive shop folks were conducting an open-water dive weekend with students.
This was off Pensacola, a wreck at 60'. The dive shop folks didn't mind as long as we stayed out of the class' way, which was easy--they were mostly at a shallower nearby structure doing the classroom stuff, and we were mostly at the 60' wreck when they weren't there. Our group was me, and a half-dozen spouses/SOs of the students, and we just buddied up by twos.

I don't know if other shops do this, I sort of doubt it. But for me I got to try out my brand new gear I bought from that very same dive shop (one more reason to buy from your local dive shop, ha ha) so if anything was amiss, I could have asked them about it.
But it was all fine, two dives a day over a Saturday and Sunday, and wilth all of us at the same motel, was a fun weekend.

'to answer your questions, yeah it does matter where you are. Get there early and tell the captain/DM, deckhand or whoever that you'll need a buddy. It worked out fine for me. You and buddy are a unit, DM or no DM. Do what Dmaziuk and others here have suggested. I didn't hire a DM for the dive, though I did tip extra (and so should you) if they had helped me get paired up with someone. I dived with "instabuddies", and it almost always worked out quite well.

Anyhow, best wishes and let us know how it went'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom