Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to use inner tube pieces for a lot of stuff. I have gotten away from that because they degrade and break - eventually. And then to replace one, you have to unthread however much of your harness to get to where you can put a new one on.

Now, I put a tri-slide in whatever spot I would have put inner tube, and then just tie a loop of bungee cord through that. It works great. Lasts a lot longer, and is much easier to change or replace the bungee.

I do still use inner tube on my waist belt, to tame the extra webbing that comes out of the buckle, so I have that length available, if I need to make the waist belt longer. Also, the inner tube helps keep stuff like my trauma shears pouch from moving around as much. The inner tube pieces on my waist belt are easy to replace without unthreading the harness - unlike pieces on the shoulder straps.
True, we need them to make UV resistant inner tubes:). I’ve been threading mine with a slanted H harness which makes rethreading and changes much less painful.

True, we need them to make UV resistant inner tubes:). I’ve been threading mine with an H harness which makes rethreading and changes much less painful.

I bought a pack of 2" EPDM bands. On Amazon, they call them Ranger Bands. Unfortunately, they turned out to be just a *little* bit too big and do not grip 2" webbing tightly enough when they are not holding onto anything. Too bad, because EPDM would work really well. And in bulk from Amazon, they are cheap. You can buy them individually from dive supply places, but then they are ridiculously expensive.

That said, tri-slides don't really seem to wear out and bungee lasts a really long time. So, I would keep using the tri-slide/bungee setup, even if EPDM bands were really cheap.

I think the biggest benefit could be on the shoulder. I switched to a shorter 12” inflator hose and worried about a triglide, sitting on top of the shoulder, digging in. But triglides are fine most times.

The webbing sleeves to reduce wear from the plate or the crotch strap sleeves might be the trick. You can also melt two small holes in the webbing to serve as an anchor. I’ve done that to anchor trim pockets to create a weight belt for the pool.

I think the biggest benefit could be on the shoulder. I switched to a shorter 12” inflator hose and worried about a triglide, sitting on top of the shoulder, digging in.

Mine doesn't. Even when walking around on land, carrying double steel 120s. But, everybody's anatomy is a little different... I do put my tri-slide for the inflator hose down my chest some from the top of my shoulder. It is just a little bit up from the chest D-ring.

I slip several on each side of my harness so when one gives out (hasn't happened yet) it's just a simple matter of sliding the next one into place-like shark's teeth
I was more talking about doing this to secure a bungee for the inflator at one spot on the strap.
2E031DB9-75EC-4065-8B49-B81EAF5649FA.jpeg

That is one inner tube section, but with a slit cut in it on the top side.

The same also on the inflator hose to position a bungee that a whistle is attached to. That was more of a pain as the inner tube is very tight, but not crushing, around the inflator hose.
But inner tube material is not UV resilient stuff.

Has anyone used an apeks wtx wing with a freedom plate? I've one on the way to the UK that should be here within the week and was wondering if the freedom plate will accommodate the wing nicely, or if I'll need to make any modifications. Thanks for any insight!

I was more talking about doing this to secure a bungee for the inflator at one spot on the strap.View attachment 603951
That is one inner tube section, but with a slit cut in it on the top side.

The same also on the inflator hose to position a bungee that a whistle is attached to. That was more of a pain as the inner tube is very tight, but not crushing, around the inflator hose.
But inner tube material is not UV resilient stuff.
I was using bungee, but switched to silicone orange bands from VDH to secure inflator hoses. So far working great.
frring.jpg

Has anyone used an apeks wtx wing with a freedom plate? I've one on the way to the UK that should be here within the week and was wondering if the freedom plate will accommodate the wing nicely, or if I'll need to make any modifications. Thanks for any insight!
Tried a wtx-18, but could not get both assembly bolts thru the wing and plate, it was so very close but off just enough that I switched to another wing that allowed bolts thru both holes.
The wtx would work with fine just one bolt used in the bottom hole, as has been mentioned the cam straps will lock everything in place.

1D575196-A680-48BF-A65B-C624AE2E3D37.jpeg
I just fit an Apex wing to one of my plates last week for the first time.
I had to elongate the Lower cam band slots 1” in order to get the wing and plate slots to line up. I drilled a 1/4” hole at the ends then used a 4-1/2” thin cut off wheel on a grinder and very carefully cut the pieces out following the straight line of the slot, then finished it up with a hand file. I use a small round chain saw file to round over the ends and a small 8” flat file to clean up and round over the straight parts. It looks seamless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom