Help identify tank alloy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRed96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good Day All, I purchased a tank and am trying to identify if it’s the dreaded 6351. It looks like it was made in 87 so I think it pre dates the 6351. Does any know if I’m correct in this assumption? Btw, it’s a 63cf tank.
57369B4F-4320-4EDD-AA96-63298B22AAF5.jpeg

Welcome to the dreaded world of VE stamps.

The good news is this is a 63, not an 80,
So when it explodes from a sustained load crack in the neck, the force will be smaller, should kill and maim less people and property.

My advice? Purchase an angle grinder too, drain the tank and turn it into a flowerpot, lamp, umbrella holder, mailbox, coin jar, cooler, barbecue, doorstop, giant horseshoe toss rings, etc.

Hopefully you paid less than the scrap value cause it is AL6351 (note the sticky thread at the top of this forum). And while it can be requalified and get VE stamp as others have said some shops will not fill them.

Hopefully you paid less than the scrap value cause it is AL6351 (note the sticky thread at the top of this forum). And while it can be requalified and get VE stamp as others have said some shops will not fill them.

And even worse, those shops will not fill the old Catalina tanks that don't need a VE because they have always used the same alloy as today.

I would advise the OP to learn to read tank markings and avoid all old AL tanks for scuba. Considering the small price difference between new and used AL tanks around here, I would buy new, except I was given a pair by a friend who gave up diving.

What are the rest of the markings? I see a 3AL which is a good sign. Don't see a SP**** number (which would make me worry).
Not every tank of that era is the bad ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom