Help identify tank alloy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are anything like me, as a new diver, you're gonna need a larger tank! Otherwise you'll get around 5 minutes out of that one!

Check with your LDS before you chuck the tank. I have a shop nearby that doesn't mind filling them. If nothing else you might be able to use it for filling tires.

I have another tank made of the same alloy that that has had the VE, Viz, and Hydro and my LDS will fill it. Probably shouldn’t have bought it but live and learn.

Which 6351 Luxfers are the good ones?
Still looking for the marks that say it is the 6351. I don't see them on the neck, which is why I asked what the rest of the markings are.

You must be a good tank whisperer if you can read all the markings that are not shown.

Still looking for the marks that say it is the 6351. I don't see them on the neck, which is why I asked what the rest of the markings are.

You must be a good tank whisperer if you can read all the markings that are not shown.

There is no stamp for 6061 or 6351. The manufacturer stamp coupled with its birthday is all you need to hear the sad (or happy) whispers. @runsongas nailed it in post #2.

Just do it the way a dive shop does, no AL tank before 1990. If I want to look at a tank before that I'll check the bad alloy thread.

There is no 6351 vs 6061 alloy stamp

To determine the alloy and viability of the tank at all you need:
Manufacturer (Catalina never used it so that is an immediate rule out)
Cylinder size - the switchover date happened at different times for different sizes
Born date

For some tanks, the special permits or exemptions have since expired so they cannot be hydroed or VE stamped at all (WK Ali tanks for instance). This is not specific to aluminum tanks though. Norris made some HP steel exemption tanks a few years ago and they didn't renew the exemption so they are worthless now.

Back
Top Bottom