Shark Attack Mitigation Systems (SAMS) Wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 per year was for fatal attacks, not just attacks in general. Yes, the case fatality rate for shark attacks is probably much higher than for dog attacks. But if you are considering non-fatal attacks, if there were 13 shark attacks in 2019, how many thousands of dog attacks do you think that there were?

I know that I read something about an attack on a scuba diver a while ago, but those are much less common than attacks on surfers/swimmers. It sounds like this wetsuit wasn't designed with scuba divers in mind.
It sounds like it's high time for a dog cull.

The only time a shark ever messed with me was while surfing. I was prone on my board so he couldn't even see my suit. He went for my leash and came back to strike at the bottom of my board. He was an aggressive youngster probably a little over two feet long.

This was a joke I did from a DEMA decades ago. I still have people occasionally ask if it's real and where they can get it.

Funny I was just thinking about changing my handle because I don't night dive anymore, but I do still solo. SoloSilverBack humm, now if there's a picture of a gorilla in dive gear out there I'll have my avatar! :)

serious-gorilla-in-monochrome-style-vector-21580912.jpg

The majority of the fatal shark attacks are either surfers or boogie boarders, mostly occuring in CA, South Africa and Westeren Australia. This shows to methat many are from mistaken identity. Changing the visual presentation makes sense. There are many fish that have black spots near their tail to mimic eyes.

Shark attacks do happen, most are not fatal but are still life changing and terrible.

Ifa simple paint job on my wetsuit can have a statistically significant reduction in chances of that happening to me, it's a no brainier.

People can ridicule me for thinking about safety of a less likely event all they want, but as a DIR inspired diver, safety is my philosophy.

People can ridicule me for thinking about safety of a less likely event all they want, but as a DIR inspired diver, safety is my philosophy.

My posts were not intended to ridicule you. Lightening up a bit would be the advice I would offer, DIR inspired or not, whatever that means.

1 per year was for fatal attacks, not just attacks in general. Yes, the case fatality rate for shark attacks is probably much higher than for dog attacks. But if you are considering non-fatal attacks, if there were 13 shark attacks in 2019, how many thousands of dog attacks do you think that there were?

When a dog bites, it's usually provoked. When a shark bites, it's always unprovoked.

When a dog bites, it usually leaves a small scar. When a shark bites, it usually results in amputation of a limb.

Dogs don't consider humans a potential source of food. Sharks sometimes do.

Most dogs weigh less than me and would not be capable of killing me. Most sharks weigh more than me, and could very easily kill me.

Dogs are territorial, and their territory can be avoided by staying out of their owners territory. Sharks exist in the territory that I go into for recreation, but dogs do not.

Call me crazy, but for those reasons, when I jump into a shark infested waters, I'm going to be more worried about sharks than dogs!

If I ever decide to jump naked into a pit of wild dogs (ie, wolves), I will be looking for a wolf proof suit

Reactions: Lim

Back
Top Bottom