Mares XR Backplate design flaw?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hotpocketdeath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I recently decided to switch to using a backplate and purchased a Mares XR backplate (Stainless Steel).

But while assembling everything, I noticed things weren't fitting together quite right. And I figured out that the Camband slots in the backplate are cut too high. This causes them to rub against the harness strap the runs across the back of the plate, but also prevents the mounting holes and camband slots from lining up with the wing.

vYpEIuH.jpg
AbdXK8s.jpg

But when I look at images of the Silver Knight or Red Devil, the Camband slots are cut noticeably lower and appear to match the wing.

Silver Knight Single Backmount Set

I know it's a minor issue since it can be worked around. Such as using an STA so the straps don't run through the backplate, or not bother with lining up the mounting holes and just use the straps to sandwhich the wing between the backplate and tank, but doesn't fix the camband rubbing against the harness strap and I'd rather that not happen. But it just bothers me that the alignment is just wrong, especially since this backplate is one of the more expensive backplates on the market.

What wing? There's no real standard on spacing of the cam band slots. Unless you match brands or get lucky, it's often the case that slots on the plate don't match the wing. Only option is an STA or a different wing.

Well, scratch one theory. I'd be unhappy about it too. Try calling Dgx.

On my back plate the bottom of the hole is ~3/8" above the top of the slot for cam bands. So similar to what is on your wing. But on one wing the hole and band slots are similar to your back plate. Just the opposite - go figure that one!.

That said we do not use a STA and use the bands so the hole alignment does not matter.

Now my one gripe is that on that one wing the slots are ~2.25 so there is no adjustment relative to the backplate. On my other wing the slots are 5" so lots of adjustment.

Are the slots in the plate longer than the wing? Is it possible that there is adequate slot length to match the wing, but they ajust added a little extra slot in the plate?

I don't under stand how a cam band is going to rub on a harness strap. If they contact each other, I would think they would both be static, once you cam band settles into a desired position? I sometimes use a weight retainer thing to fix the cam bands, so the buckle remains in the same desired position.

I just got an email from DGX. They said it looks like a manufacturing problem with just the 3mm SS backplates. They checked their Aluminum and 6MM SS plates and both of those have mounting and strap holes that have correct alignment with the wings. They're contacting Mares about it now.

@johndiver999 Unfortunately, no, the slot cuts are only large enough to fit the 2" webbing. So by using one (mounting holes or cambands) will cause the other to be out of alignment and unusable.

As for the camband and harness binding. When the harness comes across the back of the plate, it overlaps the camband slots a bit. So if you run the camband through the slot, it's putting a constant pressure on the harness at a 90deg angle on their edges. Really not an ideal situation. It also pushes the harness off it's mounting hole and ends up blocking all 3 of the top mounting holes in the process.

I'm just waiting on DGX to receive word from Mares on this.

So I recently decided to switch to using a backplate and purchased a Mares XR backplate (Stainless Steel).

But while assembling everything, I noticed things weren't fitting together quite right. And I figured out that the Camband slots in the backplate are cut too high. This causes them to rub against the harness strap the runs across the back of the plate, but also prevents the mounting holes and camband slots from lining up with the wing.

View attachment 604394 View attachment 604395

But when I look at images of the Silver Knight or Red Devil, the Camband slots are cut noticeably lower and appear to match the wing.

Silver Knight Single Backmount Set

I know it's a minor issue since it can be worked around. Such as using an STA so the straps don't run through the backplate, or not bother with lining up the mounting holes and just use the straps to sandwhich the wing between the backplate and tank, but doesn't fix the camband rubbing against the harness strap and I'd rather that not happen. But it just bothers me that the alignment is just wrong, especially since this backplate is one of the more expensive backplates on the market.
Can band straps rubbing against your harness can’t be good, I wouldn’t think. Good to hear DGX is working it out for you.

Looks like DGX is going to exchange it for the Aluminum version. Which is fine since I'm already diving steel 100's. If I opt for a heavier plate, I'll pick one up in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom