Dive Rite HydroLite Tank Strap Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krungthep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently purchased a Transpac BCD and my wife purchased a HydroLite. We love them.

The HydroLite seems to have one issue that is bugging my wife on each dive - the second tank strap - the velcro stabilizer - just will not stay attached. It is coming loose on every dive and she keeps having people swim up to her and try to fix it... It seems to be too short and not enough velcro to keep it secure. We are using normal sized tanks. Is this a known issue? Is there an easy fix other than removing it? I would prefer not to do that - I like the idea of it.

My recommendation is remove that strap and replace with a cam strap similar to the top strap. A 2nd cam strap will provide better assurance that your tank will not slip out and should resolve your problem with the velcro of the lower strap that came with your wife's hydro lite.

Perhaps call Dive Rite and let them know you are having an issue with the strap and they may offer to discount or just send you a cam strap...who knows? They have very responsive customer service.

-Z

Thank you, Zef. I have taken your advice and sent a Facebook message directly to Dive Rite. I am in Thailand, so the time difference is a pain for phoning... I will post their response and recommendation..

John

I have contacted Dive Rite and sent photos and video to them. I am not certain if the HydroLite we got has an unusually short velcro piece, but it is just not holding. I would be interested to hear from anyone else that has one. Here is a video of her trying to get it to stick on the boat last weekend:
We had everyone on board trying to get it to hold, but you just can't crank it any tighter.

While we are tempted to simply remove it, it seems like the tank may pendulum around a little. Adding a strap with a buckle is an option, but that will add weight...

I have contacted Dive Rite and sent photos and video to them. I am not certain if the HydroLite we got has an unusually short velcro piece, but it is just not holding. I would be interested to hear from anyone else that has one. Here is a video of her trying to get it to stick on the boat last weekend:
We had everyone on board trying to get it to hold, but you just can't crank it any tighter.

While we are tempted to simply remove it, it seems like the tank may pendulum around a little. Adding a strap with a buckle is an option, but that will add weight...
A simple "fix" based of watching the video would be to add a small piece of rubber inner-tube to the cam strap. After pressing down the velcro, place the end of the strip under the rubber loop. That'll apply pressure and prevent the velcro from releasing.

It simply looks like the strap is still really stiff because it's new, preventing it from forming the tight curve. You could also try removing it, maybe putting it in the washing machine to soften it?

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. The additional weight involved in swapping out that crappy velcro cam band with a standard cam band is insignificant, and with a conventional cam band, you won't have to worry about the strap coming loose. Speaking from experience, I have a Zeagle Covert that I sometimes use for travel that also had a lower cam band secured with velcro. After a few dives, with the velcro strap never staying tight enough, I switched it out for a standard cam band and never looked back. Stop wasting your time trying to work around a poor design.

I think you are focusing on the wrong thing. The additional weight involved in swapping out that crappy velcro cam band with a standard cam band is insignificant, and with a conventional cam band, you won't have to worry about the strap coming loose. Speaking from experience, I have a Zeagle Covert that I sometimes use for travel that also had a lower cam band secured with velcro. After a few dives, with the velcro strap never staying tight enough, I switched it out for a standard cam band and never looked back. Stop wasting your time trying to work around a poor design.

Thank you for the advice. I am thinking you are correct. I am thinking a lighter weight plastic buckle may be an option to save some weight.

+1 on replacing that velcro strap with a cam band.

Is there a local DiveRite supplier in Thailand?

+1 on replacing that velcro strap with a cam band.

Is there a local DiveRite supplier in Thailand?

Is there something magical about DiveRite cam bands?

-Z

Is there something magical about DiveRite cam bands?

Not that I'm aware of, but if that's where he bought the original then perhaps they might change it FOC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom