No advice needed just stoked to say...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadaDan

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After working them up to it with swimming, snorkelling and having fun in the water with my camera rig, rock collecting, small nets trying to catch rock(dock) bass...

My step-kids want their scuba training!

Into the LDS tomorrow with the paperwork and to get some basic gear (just proper dive masks and snorkels for now). They're working on the OW textbook now and then into my instructor friend's backyard pool for confined water. I'll DM for them... thankfully I'm more of fun uncle than step-dad so it will work :wink:

Neither of my bio-sons wanted to learn... guess who I'll be taking on dive trips :rofl3:

I call that a win! congrats

That's awesome, congrats!

I don't have any bio kids and neither of my steps wanted to do it, but my oldest grandson has shown great interest. I have him snorkeling at 4 years old and he wants to go scuba diving. Him and my wife go with me on weekends when I am DMing class and he gets a kick out of watching the classes.

my wife and I don't have any children (by choice) but our 11 yr old niece is showing a lot of interest in our diving. we can't wait until the pools re-open so she can do a discover dive and see if she likes it. We've also got her a proper mask, snorkel and fins so she can practice snorkeling in our pool.

my wife and I don't have any children (by choice) but our 11 yr old niece is showing a lot of interest in our diving. we can't wait until the pools re-open so she can do a discover dive and see if she likes it. We've also got her a proper mask, snorkel and fins so she can practice snorkeling in our pool.

You can probably arrange an instructor through your LDS to do a Discover and/or lessons in your own pool. The shop I DM for is doing that for a variety of clients. For us a few evenings in my instructor friend's backyard pool and then we're off to the lake.

There is some flexibility in what defines confined water as well... we're doing some work in a quiet shallow bay on the lake here.

the problem is the pool is only 6 ft deep. good enough for some skills, but a little deeper would be better.

My step-kids want their scuba training!

Into the LDS tomorrow with the paperwork and to get some basic gear (just proper dive masks and snorkels for now).

Awesome. I look forward to my own kids getting into scuba when they are old enough except for the :spend:

I
Awesome. I look forward to my own kids getting into scuba when they are old enough except for the :spend:

No kidding. On the plus side I’ll have a lot of extra tanks and regulators for pony bottles to use when they aren’t diving with me lol

Update... academics and confined water done! Headed to the lake this weekend to DMC for them during the open water qualifying dives.

Might even pick up the rest of my 4’s and 5’s for my Dive Master score sheet ;-) Only missing a few and I’ll be helping in a Drysuit course as well (which is about the easiest course to DMC for... only real skill demo is the inflator disconnect and reconnect lol). After that it’s just a matter of turning in my mapping project, medical release and renew my first aid.

And they’re done!! Fun weekend DM’ing their certification dives with them. Hand sculling is pretty much negligent... they’re trying to emulate me and it’s showing! Once I get them into their own gear and less neoprene than the 7mm farmer john rentals their trim will improve ;-) All done in 12c (54f) water temps. Deja did the last CESA and was just hanging around waiting for just under an hour... real troupers!!

Attachments

• D0ABED2D-D589-47CA-BA1F-FE44405B29EF.jpeg
    D0ABED2D-D589-47CA-BA1F-FE44405B29EF.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 81
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom