New diver from Arkansas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently bought a BP/W - shopped around, and the Dive Gear Express single tank set up was the cheapest I could find. Economical gear is a must for me. DGX BC Systems | BCs | Dive Gear Express®

I personally dont like the one-piece webbing harness (bc its a PITA to make adjustments). If I did it again, I might shell out extra to get an adjustable harness -- but the price on a one-piece harness is just so low in comparison. Ive got 4 dives on the BP/W - and maybe Ive finally got it adjusted correctly and can forget about what a PITA it was for the rest of my local diving into the future. But it sure was a PITA to adjust.

Due to shoulder injuries, I prefer the quick release on my harness.

DW

If you thread it as an 'H harness' the shoulder straps come off the waist belt instead of being the same continuous webbing. They get joined by an T piece, if joining very near the front of the waist, or angled T piece if joining more to the back of the waist. It can provide more arm room and supports the belt further along before being pulled down by the crotch strap. Just a slightly different setup, and not the quick release break in webbing some worry about for reliability.

It also makes changing shoulder length or rethreading shoulder bits separate from the waist bits, so much less of a pain.

The 'T joints' or 'waist shoulder junction plates' can be hard to find though, and is another thing to buy. Here is one source: Angled Harness Comfort Clip. I got mine from SUMP UK on Facebook.View attachment 603946

In addition to being a PITA to adjust, I feel like with a one-piece harness, the shoulder straps have a tendency to pull to the sides. I've countered that with a sternum strap - I think (hope) that resolves the issue. But I think an H-harness (which I believe is the same design of most adjustable harnesses) would be a better fit.

if you get up to northeast Arkansas, J&T dive shop sells aqualung gear. just another option

In addition to being a PITA to adjust, I feel like with a one-piece harness, the shoulder straps have a tendency to pull to the sides. I've countered that with a sternum strap - I think (hope) that resolves the issue. But I think an H-harness (which I believe is the same design of most adjustable harnesses) would be a better fit.
Adjusting the harness takes some time to get it “ just exactly perfect.” After all of the different advice and a multitude of adjustments, I think I’m there. ( Maybe?) My best advice I’d to adjust it until you can just easily get in/out of it. Then get the D rings set right. I usually have to dive it a couple of times.

I plan on lots of lake diving locally and some occasional travel with tropical diving. I’d like to start spear fishing locally as well. My son is 12, but almost as big as I am. I’m 6’1” 180lbs and he’s just a bit smaller. We could use the same size BCD. I’m 45 min from the lake.

The shop we trained at sells Scuba Pro and they recommended
Hydros Pro BCD, Aladdin one matrix computer, mk11/c370 regulator. They said if I got 2 sets of this it would be $1778 each plus tax.
That is the set up I have and I love it and the pricing is in line with what I paid in Oklahoma City. I don't think you can go wrong with that set up. Your anticipated dive trips are in line with what I plan on doing as well. Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas Lakes with some trips to Florida or Caribbean.

That is the set up I have and I love it and the pricing is in line with what I paid in Oklahoma City. I don't think you can go wrong with that set up. Your anticipated dive trips are in line with what I plan on doing as well. Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas Lakes with some trips to Florida or Caribbean.

I think I may get the Scubapro stuff except switch the BCD out for a Zeagle express tech deluxe.

I like my zeagle express tech a lot, but I’m diving dry with only #13 of lead. If a person is having trouble finding places to put all their lead, then it is probably less desirable than a steel plate. Key factor is where you want your weight and how much you need.

Skip all the padding, that is just more lead required.

Make sure you are ok with the style of backplate where the harness slides loosely in the lower strap connection.

There is a used basic version express tech on northeast scuba supply right now, could be a decent deal.

I’ve got the Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe coming.

On Tuesday when the dive shop opens I plan to order the Scubapro MK11/C370 with the R095 octopus and the metal 3 gauge console. Are there any reasons not to go with this setup?

I’m still undecided on a computer, but I’m pretty sure I’d like a wrist mount and Bluetooth. The shop recommended a console with the Aladdin one matrix in it, but I think I want a wrist mount, and I like the redundancy of having the analog gauges as a backup.

I’m having to buy all of this stuff double for me and my son. Does he need his own computer? He won’t be diving without me for quite a while, but I guess we still need to log his dives.

I was looking at the Deep 6 excursion which comes at a discount if you buy two of them.
My buddy that got certified with me has a Mares that has the ability to do air integration. It doesn’t look like the Deep 6 does this. Is that a feature I should look for? His Mares was only slightly more than the Deep 6, albeit without the sender. My dive shop that I’ll be getting the regulator from only sells Scubapro. I’ll be getting a discount on the initial stuff I buy from them for getting certified with them. Is there a wrist computer from Scubapro that I should look at, they don’t seem to be recommended much on here?

Thanks so much for all the advice.

I don't like the 3-gauge consoles very much because the end of a console is a very inconvenient place to put your compass, you really want it directly in front of your face, so wrist-mounted is ideal for that. If you wrist-mount your computer as well, now you're down to just a 1-gauge console (SPG).

For the redundant analog gauges: say you are on a dive and your computer fails. Damn, but at least you've got your backup analog gauges. Now what what would you do with the information on the gauges? Unless you've been using tables before every dive, you won't be able to figure out your NDL on the fly. For many divers, the plan to deal with a failed computer is to simply end the dive as soon as you realize the computer is dead. This isn't as bad as it might sound, because computers don't fail very often. The real upside of backup analog gauges is for the situation where you're trying to do many dives, many days in a row, say on a live-aboard or a dive resort. If your computer fails there, you'll be done diving for that day, but can continue diving the next day on the analog gauges and tables. A backup computer would achieve much the same, although it's more expensive of course.

Air integration on a wrist-mounted computer is cool because then you don't need an SPG hose at all. But you pay a lot for that convenience -- the computer will be more expensive to begin with, and wireless transmitters themselves run about $400. If I were on the market for a recreational dive computer, I'd be looking at the Deep6 Excursion ($250 when you buy two) and the new Shearwater Peregrine ($450 each). Both are very solid machines that should last you a really long time. If budget is the main concern, go for the D6. If you're gonna splurge on your computer, I'd say go for the Shearwater over air integration any day of the week.

As for whether your son needs one, well, it kinda depends on your kid. If he has one, understands how to use it, and actually does use it, then it will increase his safety. Both by giving him the information it provides, and by making him less dependent on you. If he doesn't have one or doesn't use it properly, then it's just gonna make your wallet that much thinner. Of course if he's unable to do that, well, maybe he's not quite ready for diving :) . I'd say do it.

I don't like the 3-gauge consoles very much because the end of a console is a very inconvenient place to put your compass, you really want it directly in front of your face, so wrist-mounted is ideal for that. If you wrist-mount your computer as well, now you're down to just a 1-gauge console (SPG).

For the redundant analog gauges: say you are on a dive and your computer fails. Damn, but at least you've got your backup analog gauges. Now what what would you do with the information on the gauges? Unless you've been using tables before every dive, you won't be able to figure out your NDL on the fly. For many divers, the plan to deal with a failed computer is to simply end the dive as soon as you realize the computer is dead. This isn't as bad as it might sound, because computers don't fail very often. The real upside of backup analog gauges is for the situation where you're trying to do many dives, many days in a row, say on a live-aboard or a dive resort. If your computer fails there, you'll be done diving for that day, but can continue diving the next day on the analog gauges and tables. A backup computer would achieve much the same, although it's more expensive of course.

Air integration on a wrist-mounted computer is cool because then you don't need an SPG hose at all. But you pay a lot for that convenience -- the computer will be more expensive to begin with, and wireless transmitters themselves run about $400. If I were on the market for a recreational dive computer, I'd be looking at the Deep6 Excursion ($250 when you buy two) and the new Shearwater Peregrine ($450 each). Both are very solid machines that should last you a really long time. If budget is the main concern, go for the D6. If you're gonna splurge on your computer, I'd say go for the Shearwater over air integration any day of the week.

As for whether your son needs one, well, it kinda depends on your kid. If he has one, understands how to use it, and actually does use it, then it will increase his safety. Both by giving him the information it provides, and by making him less dependent on you. If he doesn't have one or doesn't use it properly, then it's just gonna make your wallet that much thinner. Of course if he's unable to do that, well, maybe he's not quite ready for diving :) . I'd say do it.
Thanks. That’s a good way to think about it. I’d probably go for the shearwater computer.

Back
Top Bottom