Moving to Molokai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetSEAL

Contributor
Reaction score
I am moving to Molokai for about four months this winter, and very excited to go diving there. If anyone has dived Molokai reef, or has info about Molokai diving in general, I'd love to hear it!

Molokai has some really healthy reefs! "Molokai Fish and Dive" is the only operation on the island I believe. That's okay though because they've always been great in my experience. Their premium 3 tank to Moku Ho'oniki is where the hammerheads hang out. There's also the "backside" but I haven't dove it...yet. Both those sites need calm days and minimum of 3 divers I believe. Their local fringing reef on the south side is super rad, tons of healthy finger coral, occasional reef sharks or java moray, eagle rays, and tons of reef fish.

Where are you moving from and how ocean savvy are you? Will you have an exploring buddy?

O yeah, at the pace we're going, be ready for a 14 day quarantine. Ugh!

-Nick

Moving from Vermont, and my girlfriend will be joining me. I have done about 50 ocean dives, but she has never dived before so the first step will be getting her certified. Since we're going to be there for some time and staying close to the beach, we are hoping to get into shore diving too

Quarantine is definitely still in effect. Governor Ige just reinstated inter island quarantine travel again too. 14 days, national guard and police do checks in on you.

If I remember right, shore diving is a little harder there due to the long fringing reef. It's pretty shallow most places(great shallow snorkeling here n there) and you have to swim out a bit to get depth. Make sure she is fully comfortable and ready for anything "adventurous". A lot of the shore line is inaccessible as well. I would talk to the local dive shop for advice on where to go to avoid anything sketchy (trespassing, ocean currents, etc)

Molokai is very "local", make sure you're very respectful and polite, it goes a long way. May I ask what the move is for and why you picked Molokai? It's a pretty small island with minimal everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom