Scubapro F2 Compass - Lubber line is off-centre

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alanb3006

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
While attempting to get to know my compass better during lockdown, I noticed that the lubber line, which ought to point dead ahead, most definitely does not. It's rotated to the left by about 5 degrees. Thinking it was just my bad eyesight, I checked the sideview window. Sure enough, the lubber line and the hard plastic central spike mark are not aligned. I take it this is not normal?

At the rear of the compass, the base of the housing has four holes which are mis-oriented by the same amount. Has the central compass module somehow gotten twisted inside the black plastic casing? And what do the labels "Close" and "Open" mean at the back? Is this for a different type of mounting (slate?) Or is it possible to re-orient the compass itself and correct the rotation?

Please post some pictures, it will help identify your compass and what may be wrong/rectifiable.

-Z

IMG_2332.JPG
IMG_2333.JPG
IMG_2334.JPG

Sorry folks. I was relying on my description. Pictures included. In order

1. Front view of compass, lined up with sheet of paper, showing lubber line clearly adrift.
2. Side view. Lubber line is off to the right. There is a small central plastic "spike" at the lower edge of the side view indicating "dead centre"
3. Rear view. These holes seem to be (coincidentally?) aligned with the misaligned lubber line.

Hope this helps.

On mine the hole with a little mark on it is aligned with the dot on the body (at 6 o'clock on your bottom picture). Looks like whoever put the cartridge in the boot, turned it a bit too far in the "close" direction.

I had the same thing happen with an Aqualung compass mount, the compass is a wear part and will eventually need replacing, so it's made to be removed. Just got put in wrong.

Back
Top Bottom