Aqualung Thermal Fusion undergarment advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Outbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Drysuit diver. I typically use Patagonia Capline 4 top and bottom as a base layer and then an Aqualung MK2 fleece unionsuit as the thermal layer. I find, however, that I get a bit cold in that setup, especially early or late in the season or after a long day of multiple dives. I don't really love the Patagonia baselayer, so I'm going to be switching that out for some merino wool. But I've been contemplating ditching the MK2 and investing in the Thermal Fusion instead. Reviews seem good and people say it's nice and warm. The one issue seems to be that its close fit means it is a bit restrictive for some folks, especially those trying to do valve drills with doubles. I don't dive doubles, but that doesn't mean I don't like freedom of movement!

For those of you who own or have tried a Thermal Fusion, what do you like and dislike about it? My drysuit is a Fusion Bullet, so I like the idea of having a streamlined thermal layer to go underneath it. But not if I won't have adequate mobility, especially in my shoulders.

it vents pretty easily thanks to the mesh panel at the arm, it is fairly warm (although the santi bz400x is a bit warmer imo). you get a bit less mobility because it is a one piece and it sometimes bunches up a bit. it really depends on where you fit on the size chart as you want a little bit of extra length for mobility. for the cost though, weezle is more bang for the buck.

I have one and find it incredibly warm....in fact I have only used it a couple of times because even in the dead of winter when the water temp was 3-4c it was only just cold enough that I needed the warmth it provides.

Typically I use this polypro base layer top and bottom, with a fleece pullover on top and fleece pants on bottom. I have an old cross-country ski suit that I wear that is a one piece suit that is basically a pair of thin fleece-lined sport tights with a fleece vest top. I will use the fleece pants and pullover on top of this when it is cold...then I either use wool, alpaca, or synthetic fleece socks.

upload_2020-8-14_19-10-36.jpeg

I would sell my Thermal Fusion but that would require me to take too great a loss on something that cost me quite a bit that I have only used twice.

If I could go back in time I would not purchase it again but not because of any problem with the suit itself, it just provides too much warmth and it was expensive.

-Z

Thanks for the responses. My concern with the Weezle is keeping it lofted in a Fusion drysuits that I like to run with minimum necessary weight and air.

I like to hear that someone thinks the Thermal Fusion is too warm! Sounds about perfect for me, given that I tend to run cold.

Thanks for the responses. My concern with the Weezle is keeping it lofted in a Fusion drysuits that I like to run with minimum necessary weight and air.

I like to hear that someone thinks the Thermal Fusion is too warm! Sounds about perfect for me, given that I tend to run cold.

I only know of one diver who has complained they could not do valve drills because of their thermal fusion undersuit, and it was suggested by others that perhaps they adjust the position of the undersuit after donning their drysuit and before entering the water. I think the issue is less about the fit of the thermal fusion and more about how the Fusion drysuits are designed to fit, as they generally hug the body more than other membrane type drysuits.....this has its advantages but a disadvantage is that one needs to get the drysuit situated properly on the body beneath the lycra or neoprene skin. For general diving this is really not an issue as the person who posted the complaint had been using a thermal fusion without issue until they started doing tech training. My bet is that if that person was using another brand of drysuit and undergarment that they would have posted something similar. Sometimes the issue is the equipment, sometimes it is simply just the person.

-Z

I love my fusion thermal, very warm, great mobility, but difficult to get on. When its cold, its my go to. FE artics almost as warm, not quite, much easier to get on and off, Little more bulky.

Back
Top Bottom