Diving after hip replacement surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maremd50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I tried to search for a thread about this topic but nothing showed up. Has anyone out there experienced a hip replacement surgery, and then returned to diving after? I'd appreciate any info you can give me as to rehab techniques that you found helpful, how long it took you to get back in the water, any special things you would have done differently, etc.....

I'm just a week post-op and am advancing steadily through PT exercises. My joint movement precautions are expected to last 6 - 12 weeks (which is quite a large range!) and my surgeon has said "3 months" before diving. :( I've never gone that long without diving since I got certified, but will adhere to whatever is necessary. I just am thinking that if there are specific exercises, etc that someone has found to be especially helpful, maybe I could shorten that timeline a bit. Thanks.

Could have sworn that there was a similar discussion within the last few months about knee replacements and the subsequent rehab. It might not have been in the Dive Medicine forum, which would explain why a quick scan didn't find it. If you can locate the thread, I suppose it might provide some insights.

There were a couple of threads. Do a search on joint replacement. I just tried it and found a couple.

I had both hips replaced several years ago. This was before my scuba checkout.

Your hip surgeon will have guidance on the time frame to wait but your major issues will be weight bearing and mobility. My rig weighs in at close to 70 pounds. I could not have safely walked with this for a while. But you can always get your buddy to carry gear, if you have a really good buddy.:D

I still have mobility issues. Getting fins on and off is a challenge especially in open water where you can't use weight and gravity to help you reach the straps. I love my spring straps as they have pretty much solved that problem for me.

Another issue at least for me though I don't know exactly why, is that I don't have the balance that I had pre-surgery. I am extra careful walking on rocky or slippery surfaces.

The great news is that you don't have to give it up. Keep us posted on your progress.

I tried to search for a thread about this topic but nothing showed up. Has anyone out there experienced a hip replacement surgery, and then returned to diving after? I'd appreciate any info you can give me as to rehab techniques that you found helpful, how long it took you to get back in the water, any special things you would have done differently, etc.....

I'm just a week post-op and am advancing steadily through PT exercises. My joint movement precautions are expected to last 6 - 12 weeks (which is quite a large range!) and my surgeon has said "3 months" before diving. :( I've never gone that long without diving since I got certified, but will adhere to whatever is necessary. I just am thinking that if there are specific exercises, etc that someone has found to be especially helpful, maybe I could shorten that timeline a bit. Thanks.

I've provided P.T. rehab for several hundred (thousands?) of THRs and have been gratified by the outcomes of this most successful orthopedic surgery.

3 months sounds about right to dive, assuming you are at a good weight, and you take care avoiding a fall on slippery surfaces and continue to respect THR precautions.

You may consider using a smaller tank (65 c.f.) to reduce weight, and when possible don your gear in the water. (reducing stresses upon your hip).

Donning your fins in a figure 4 manner should be fine (your operated hip is abducted, and externally rotated.) Spring heel releases are recommended for fins.

Elliptical trainer would be ideal for regaining cardiovascular conditioning and safely exercising the hip musculature. You don't want exercises that involve impact. Choose shoes that absorb walking impact.

Your body will continue to adapt to the THR for a year.

Good luck and happy diving!

Hi maremd50,

You might enjoy knowing that total hip replacement (THR) generally is a successful procedure yielding good pain reduction and increased stability. Of course, no such operation provides 100% alleviation of signs and symptoms in 100% of cases, and sometimes complications do arise.

It is encouraging that a study published in the "Mayo Clinic Proceedings" reported that over 75% of orthopedic surgeons recommended resumption of SCUBA diving following operative recovery from total hip replacement.

An individual should be able to return to diving after rehab is successfully completed and muscle strength and range of motion are appropriate for SCUBA. Be aware that rehab after hip replacement has much to do with eventual outcome, so the wise patient puts in the time and effort. The surgeon should okay complete weight-bearing and full activity, as well as provide clearance specifically for SCUBA.

While time to return to full physical activity depends upon factors such as age, health and fitness, personal motivation and response to rehabilitation, it typically takes about 3 months for those undergoing THR to fully recover, less for more minor approaches.

The joint replacement should not be affected by pressure, depth or gases since it is solid and contains no air spaces. Whether or not the scarring and surgical changes would tend to be a site for nitrogen accumulation due to altered blood supply is debatable, but the research suggests it's only a minor concern. Other good advice would be to don and doff gear in the water and ask for assistance with climbing into the boat or making shore entries and exits.

As for speeding up the rehab process, if you are in a quality rehab program it will move you along as quickly as is safe and effective.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thanks to all of you who responded. I'm SOOOO encouraged by my progress so far, and the comments here only serve to reassure me that my doc is right on, and that I'm doing what I can. I'm in great shape, and will end up in better shape after all this is done. Motivation is not an issue. I'll be back in my Happy Place before ya know it. Again - thanks all.

Congratulations on your hip replacement! 3 months will go so fast. I went a full year after a neck fusion after a fracture and I now dive and fox hunt. I also know a biologist who dives and fox hunts who had two THRs. She was only 40 and I think it took her about 6 months to recover.

Thank you everyone for this thread. I've had a Total knee replacement for 18 years, & continued to dive actively. I just underwent a Left hip replacement (6 weeks ago) and look forward to resuming my diving activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom