Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK - so the fact is that an AA flight put passengers and their destination country at risk for needless Covid spread - not a United flight... got it.
I feel for you...we live in NYC, it was a nightmare for all and still is for some, but we managed by SD with our friends and taking the best precautions possible...some of our friends remained isolated, I respect that...im a nomad, I have no choice but to travel.

This guy was a Doctor at IMSS here in Cozumel. 42 years old, from Peru, no pre existing conditions - he died yesterday in Playa because there were no ventilators available for him here in Cozumel. Dr. Garavito is not related to or the same person as Dr Carlos Herrera (Dr Carlos saved my mother in law last November) but Dr Garavito was beloved on the island for his tireless work within the social hospitals.

This is per a speech the mayor gave the other night: Cozumel averages 360 deaths per year or about 30 per month. In seven months, we should have recorded roughly 210 but yet there has been 500 recorded. So somewhere somehow there has been an extra 300 deaths this year so far but yet the official tally only shows 45.

upload_2020-8-15_10-5-58.png

Cozumel hospital occupancy at 69 percent today.
I read that they shipped an infected doctor over to PDC because they did not have enough respirators, but he died anyway.

The official death count is 47. FB rumors quoting the mayor claimed that the island usually has 30 deaths/month, but for the past several months since this started they are several hundred over that. Got to wonder what the truth is?

I'm packing today to fly in Monday, will be wearing masks everywhere all of the time, washing hands or using antiseptic wipes often, and hoping for the best.

I am in Coz as I write this and I feel much "safer" here than in the USA. EVERYONE wears a mask. The restaurants and stores all take your temp and make you sanitize your hands when you enter. I was at the airport watching all the arrival passengers get thermal scanned it was interesting. There is a 9pm curfew that is enforced.

I feel for you...we live in NYC, it was a nightmare for all and still is for some, but we managed by SD with our friends and taking the best precautions possible...some of our friends remained isolated, I respect that...im a nomad, I have no choice but to travel.

it is your exact thoughts that are spreading the pandemic. Just wearing masks on a flight does NOT prevent the spread of covid. it may help reduce it somewhat but people are taking masks off in flight to eat etc. airline personnel DO have covid. people at the grocery store have it. its even more widespread in mexico than the usa.

if you are old and overweight itll easily kill you.

im 6 ft 2 in great shape and not near 60 but even I know it can still kill me. will it? likely not but it can give you life long lung and heart problems both of which can hurt your scuba diving enjoyment.

and cozumel has ZERO space for tourists flying in on their ventilators. You are basically killing people there if you have to go on a ventilator because someone else will die for your vacation experience during a world wide pandemic.

I am in Coz as I write this and I feel much "safer" here than in the USA. EVERYONE wears a mask. The restaurants and stores all take your temp and make you sanitize your hands when you enter. I was at the airport watching all the arrival passengers get thermal scanned it was interesting. There is a 9pm curfew that is enforced.

Curfew is 10pm and not really being enforced.

Don't let the looks of what you see in the resorts or on Melgar fool you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom