Safety? Bare Feet or Dive Boots on Liveaboard Decks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After witnessing a diver slip and take a spectacular fall on a dock a few years ago, I swore to always dive with good quality dive boots with robust high-traction soles.
So, far I've kept my promise.

But now I'm starting to rethink that when it comes to liveaboards.
If bare feet are as safe on the decks of boats, specifically liveaboards, as dive boots, then I'll save some weight and bulk in my luggage by taking full-foot fins.

So, my question is, are bare feet just as safe from slips and falls on liveaboard decks as dive boots?
What are your experiences?
What are your opinions?

Thanks.

Hello Kablooey,

I don't like bare feet in any public areas, maybe with the exception of beaches.

Especially important if people are walking in and out of the head in their bare feet.

I like leather Sperry Top-Siders, with the non-marring, white, anti-slip soles

No slips, friendly and comfortable for your feet, and the leather breathes, helping to keep your feet cool/dry.

These shoes are soft sided, can be stored/packed anywhere. much easier to pack/store than Converse or anything similar, and far more comfortable and better for your feet. Sperry's will take up no more room than a pair of flip-flops.

Rose

Heck, people manage to fall out of friggin' roller coaster seats, LOL, so shoes aren't necessarily a guarantee you won't fall. I've crewed on several yachts, and it's routine on them for everyone to remove their shoes and toss them in a plastic bin, upon boarding, and to walk around barefooted their entire time on the boat. I've never slipped and fallen, nor seen anyone fall, due to not wearing shoes (or for any other reason). I was always more concerned with taking a header coming down the steep stairs from the wheelhouse, or down into crews quarters, than I ever was about a slippery deck.
But if I was concerned and wanted the additional traction and foot protection, I think a basic pair of rubber-soled water-socks (or whatever they're called) would work well, and be a lot more comfortable than a full-on set of dive boots. I've scored a couple pairs of nice water-socks at my favorite local thrift store, for next to nothing.

I go gone bare foot and use full foot fins on every liveaboard. No issues, in fact I find it quite liberating.

One time I'm quite careful is stepping from the deck onto a RHIB for dives not directly from the mothership.

Agree with the need for maximum caution being stepping onto LOB from RIB/Tender.

In decades of crewing on racing and cruising yachts before becoming a tall ship sailor ive seen many people slip over, regardless of what style of footwear or no footwear on boats incl LOBs. Personally my feet are bare from dock to dock other than if im moving a tall ship intercontinentally in winter or at night (winter im in a survival suit that includes boots) at night if im on a ship without passengers i wear sorrel lights...because i know i can pull them off in 3 seconds if im going in the drink...and i don't crew on fancy "yachts" with glossy desks, hot tubs and motors so the marking of desks is a trade off between my comfort and safety. Even in the tropics it's cold at 4.15am. At sea, ive only fallen once that would have caused severe injuries - from the third mast with a brick lined hold looming at me until a bosun from heaven caught the back of my jeans in one hand and stopped my fall...yes I was harnessed on but guess who's harness broke...

Fact is, people fall, over and being on land in your house is where you are more likely to be injured in a fall. Im clumsy AF on land, at sea ive been known to stagger around like a drunken pirate in a heavy sea, no matter what you feel comfy using on your feet, go for it, wear them. But understand no matter what you have on your feet, you're just as likely to fall as the next person. The seas a bitch like that.

Only 7 liveaboards, bare feet except when wearing booties during diving. Have never had a fall or close call
Right. I've now recovered from the rotator cuff surgery I required after slipping and falling on a dive boat....with bare feet.

Right. I've now recovered from the rotator cuff surgery I required after slipping and falling on a dive boat....with bare feet.
Sorry that happened to you, would your fall have been prevented had you been wearing some form of footwear?

Sorry that happened to you, would your fall have been prevented had you been wearing some form of footwear?
I think so. Using a useless argument, I've never fallen while wearing some kind of foitware (shoes, sandals, flip flops, ribbed water socks, etc).

I think so. Using a useless argument, I've never fallen while wearing some kind of foitware (shoes, sandals, flip flops, ribbed water socks, etc).
I have slipped or tripped, fortunately not fallen, a few times on boats while wearing flip flops, I don't do that anymore

Do not wear crocs. Slipperiest damn things on the planet.

Are crocs a no no? I've never been on a live aboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom