Why no weight pockets with doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the issue of a DS for m e is a simple o ne. 250 ft bottom I am at 100 start of dive wing blows. the race starts. time to get our a lift bag inflate while clearing ears in bad vis vs. a air burst in my DS. your can drop a hundred feet in a heart beat. In my view the DS has the highest probablility in any loss of buoyancy recovery. A wet suit the deeper you go the worse you r problem gets. ansd if in the mess your lift bag gets away from you and you no longer have it??? there is not much choice other than tyring to push a reg through the neck of your wet suit and put a bubble in it. I have wondered for years why wet suits do not have DS inflation valves on them for emergencies like that. I have fond one person that tried that after suggesting it and he says it works fine and still dives doubles wet and is confortable with it. The cost 50 bucks for a valve and glue compared to a DS cost a wet suit inflator fitting just makes sense when you know you are diving heavy.

the issue of a DS for m e is a simple o ne. 250 ft bottom I am at 100 start of dive wing blows. the race starts. time to get our a lift bag inflate while clearing ears in bad vis vs. a air burst in my DS. your can drop a hundred feet in a heart beat. In my view the DS has the highest probablility in any loss of buoyancy recovery. A wet suit the deeper you go the worse you r problem gets. ansd if in the mess your lift bag gets away from you and you no longer have it??? there is not much choice other than tyring to push a reg through the neck of your wet suit and put a bubble in it. I have wondered for years why wet suits do not have DS inflation valves on them for emergencies like that. I have fond one person that tried that after suggesting it and he says it works fine and still dives doubles wet and is confortable with it. The cost 50 bucks for a valve and glue compared to a DS cost a wet suit inflator fitting just makes sense when you know you are diving heavy.

At that depth I can't imagine diving in anything but a dry suit just for the warmth. That's a long dive.

So then it's ok when I dive doubles in a wet suit in 50FSW max for an 1.5 hours? Doubles aren't just for deep water are they? Or is that another mistake I've been making using double tanks solo diving in shallow water?

your can drop a hundred feet in a heart beat.
A normal heart rate is from 50 to 80 bpm. Let's say 60 bpm or 1/s. A hundred feet is approximately 30m.

So, "a hundred feet in a heartbeat" is around 30 m/s or 1800 m/min (5900 fpm, 108 km/h or 67 mph). Which is rather impressive given that a normal descent rate is about 10-20 m/min (30-60 fpm).

I call BS. Do your math and don't exaggerate too much.

I call BS. Do your math and don't exaggerate.
LOL. I think you were taking him perhaps too LITERALLY, when he was using the expression as an accepted idiom for 'quickly'.

From the Grammarist (Grammarrist.com):

In a heartbeat is an idiomatic expression that means right away, without hesitation, happening as soon as possible. The phrase in a heartbeat is often used when describing how quickly something can overcome someone without warning, such as a natural catastrophe.

I think you were taking him perhaps too LITERALLY,

I deliberately took him very literally.

There's too much BS floating around. And too many people take it as the (literal) truth. Sometimes you just have to call BS

I deliberately took him literally.

There's too much BS floating around. And too many people take it as the literal truth.
OK, since it is you, whose opinions I greatly respect, I am OK with it. :)

Yes. there is an element of 'exaggeration for effect' in many comments. I - God forbid - have possibly been guilty of it myself at times.

In fairness, I do think that a valid point can be made: if you have an abrupt / sudden loss of lift, you can very quickly descend quite a distance. So, a diver in an inherently negatively buoyant state - e.g. wearing heavy double steels - should be prepared to deal with such a loss of lift - 'with utmost efficiency'. (Pardon the movie reference from 'The Jackal' :)).

there is an element of 'exaggeration for effect' in many comments. I - God forbid - have possibly been guilty of it myself at times.
Me? Never. Ever.

/s

At that depth I can't imagine diving in anything but a dry suit just for the warmth. That's a long dive.

So then it's ok when I dive doubles in a wet suit in 50FSW max for an 1.5 hours? Doubles aren't just for deep water are they? Or is that another mistake I've been making using double tanks solo diving in shallow water?
I dont believe I have suggested that although I think many only look at selective benefits of a dry suit when it comes to making a buying decision. such as I dont need one to keep warm so I dont need one period. time flies when your not having fun.

In fairness, I do think that a valid point can be made: if you have an abrupt / sudden loss of lift, you can very quickly descend quite a distance. So, a diver in an inherently negatively buoyant state - e.g. wearing heavy double steels
Again, there seems to be a difference across the pond. Over here, doubles are typically D7x300s, D8.5x232s or D12x232s. The former two are rec twins, basically no more than a single but riding closer to the diver's back than a single, the latter is the typical "tech" twinset for staged deco diving. All of them are steels. There's no basic difference between a "rec" and a "tech" setup. Except the weight of the rig, that is.

And if those twinset folks are diving rec twins, you can usually bet your money that they're diving dry. Just like us singles folks. That's my diving world. There is no sharp boundary between "rec' and "tech". Some are ok with going into staged deco, some prefer not to. Some dive singles, some dive twinsets. You can't infer the one from the other.

I dont believe I have suggested that although I think many only look at selective benefits of a dry suit when it comes to making a buying decision. such as I dont need one to keep warm so I dont need one period. time flies when your not having fun.

I was just looking for some confirmation that what I'm doing is ok. :)

I agree I've never looked at my dry suits as anything more than insulation and bought them only for that reason. Any other benefits are gravy.

I've decided this year is my last year diving dry and will be selling my dry suit. I'm becoming a warm water New England diver!? If the water gets below 55F I'm hanging up the fins until spring.

Back
Top Bottom