It finally happened: I peed in the dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How long are the dives you people are making? Am I the only one here who can hold his water for a few hours?

It is not always about dive run times. P valves are very handy here in the winter, as you don't have to get half undressed to take care of business.

In regards to run times. Can I hold it? Sure. But I rather like going when I want to.

DW

How long are the dives you people are making? Am I the only one here who can hold his water for a few hours?
This has been a frequently discussed topic with several of my students. I personally dont like diving anything more than about 45 minutes without a valve. I can hold it for hours on land but being in the water makes the kidneys work double time. Also some will drink less water prior to diving in effort to reduce the need to urinate, but even mild dehydration can lead to increased risk of dcs, and I personally feel less fatigued after diving when im well hydrated. Not to mention the convenience of not needing to derobe during surface intervals.

It’s about proper hydration. I don’t shy away from drinking a lot of H2O, especially before a long dive. Plus it’s hot as hell right now on the surface and it’s a race from the point I pull the top of the dry suit on until I get past the first thermocline. I’m sweating buckets the whole time, so I make sure I’m really well hydrated.

When wet, I get the urge after some 45-ish minutes. When dry, I can usually hold it for an hour or more unless I've overdone my hydration and have forgotten to take a leak before zipping up. For most of us, immersion diuresis is much more of an issue when diving wet. Most of my dives, I don't have enough gas to last me more than an hour. Or, my buddy doesn't.

Desperately needing to take a piss is fairly low on my list of "issues about diving dry". And gluing a condom to my willy doesn't seem like having a good time. I'm fine with condoms, I just don't enjoy the thought of gluing them in place.

P valves are life.

My first deco dive (during AN/DP) I had to piss so badly that I thought my bladder was going to rupture. I was literally hanging to the an hour line with my legs crossed it was so bad.

That night i bought and installed a P valve into my suit and have NEVER looked back for a second.

I have had 2 blow offs. The first one was obvious me trying to figure out WTF I was doing, and using medical store catheters was not the answer.

Sticking to the medical widebands and using prep fluid i havent had an issue since. 20 minutes or 200 minutes, im hooking up.

Average dive i will piss 4-5 times in 2 hours, screw holding it. Also part of the reason I don't dive wet, I refuse to piss in my wetsuit.

Cutting back on coffee or tea helps too.
Cutting back on coffee is a lot harder (pun not intended) than removing a glued-on condom from my private parts.

I prefer hydrating moderately and making sure that taking a leak is the last thing to do before zipping up.

I added a P-valve very shortly after getting my first drysuit. It doesn't take long diving a drysuit to realize just how important they are. I will not dive dry without plumbing. Ever. The only alternatives are diapers, dehydration, pain, or a messy accident. None of those are viable alternatives in my opinion.

P valves are life.

My first deco dive (during AN/DP) I had to piss so badly that I thought my bladder was going to rupture. I was literally hanging to the an hour line with my legs crossed it was so bad.

That night i bought and installed a P valve into my suit and have NEVER looked back for a second.

I have had 2 blow offs. The first one was obvious me trying to figure out WTF I was doing, and using medical store catheters was not the answer.

Sticking to the medical widebands and using prep fluid i havent had an issue since. 20 minutes or 200 minutes, im hooking up.

Average dive i will piss 4-5 times in 2 hours, screw holding it. Also part of the reason I don't dive wet, I refuse to piss in my wetsuit.

what prep fluid do you use?

Back
Top Bottom