Backup Analog Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving with my OC-1 and transmitter for almost 10 years now (almost 700 dives). I love it and don't plan to change. However, I've decided that I want to have a backup analog gauge console for just in case. On my current visit to my home in Mexico, my OC-1 decided to go into error mode after one dive. The battery had just been changed so something happened with that as this was a first for me. I borrowed a console from the dive shop and continued diving. But, I need something for when I can travel more. I noticed my late husband (an MSDT) has a console with Suunto gauges. I'm probably not going to use his due to the age of it.

What would you recommend as a backup package? I won't dive with it, but will have it in my gear bag in case something happens to my OC-1 again. Is Suunto the way to go?

It doesn't need to be a Suunto gauge which tend to be quite large. You could get something simple that is brass and glass that is smaller and less intrusive. The Suunto is easy to read with the large display though.

I would also suggest a backup dive computer that you can dive together with your OC-1. (I have seen some folks keep it in their dive bag and only pull it out when needed; that backup wouldn't have the tissue data from all their dives!) It doesn't have to be an expensive one but something that has an algorithm that is same or more liberal than your OC-1 would work best. Follow the instructions of your OC-1 as usual and only follow instructions on your backup if you have issues with your primary, such as when your OC-1 errored out.

if it were me, a person who is rather frugal, I'd probably:

Test the Suunto - if it works, carry it. These aren't complicated devices, if it currently works, it'll probably keep doing so.
If that doesn't work - look for the cheapest - but still reasonable shape - used console I can find
If that doesn't work, buy the cheapest new console i can find - Leisurepro has a Mares and a Genesis in stock for 149.00. They might go lower if you call. They have others cheaper but on backorder.

Simple gauge, simple hose, simple bolt-snap. Hose length 22-26 inches, depending on your length....just long enough to let you clip it off on a waist d-ring. A bit longer if you have to clip it off on a chest d-ring. Brands are irrelevant....

The problem with a unmounted spare console is that the computer won't have your current nitrogen and O2 states. To be safe, at minimum you'd have to skip any remaining dives that day along with aborting the current dive if the failure happened mid-dive.

The easiest way to avoid this without having to lug around a clunky console on all your dives is to carry a backup computer. And maybe add a small backup SPG that clips off to a hip d-ring as Tursiops suggested.

Any basic nitrox computer would do if you add the SPG. Otherwise you'll need a spare that is AI compatible.

Which reminds me, I have an OC-1 in excellent condition that I've been meaning to sell. I'll send you a PM.

As the others have suggested, I strongly recommend a backup computer (AI if possible, or non-AI and add an SPG).

You don't just need it to remember your tissues between dives but it can also save the dive you are on if the computer fails.

I actually dive with three computers: two AI and one non-AI (I've got them so I may as well use them). Just a few days ago at the start of a long drift dive (at a site where it is very difficult to get out at the entry point) my Oceanic Atom 3.0 went into error mode. If it had been my only dive computer, that would have been the end of a dive and a long surface swim back to the exit. I still had a backup computer with AI so I could continue the dive as if nothing had happened.

I am a firm believer in redundant equipment, especially SPGs, since the loss of that information is far more important to me, in general, than some tissue modeling on some yet-to-be obsolete algorithm.

My current set-ups consist of AI or non-AI computers, on "quick-connects," coupled with a set of analogue gauges as insurance. I even carry an analogue watch -- and almost automatically set the bezel.

In over four decades of diving, I have yet to have an analogue gauge failure; whereas, I have experienced a number of electronic failures -- a couple of notable ones, below fifty meters . . .

I’m in the same boat as the OP. I have a Mares Nemo Wide so I need an SPG for at least gas but can’t decide on whether a Console 1,2 or 3.

I use transmitter only most of the time. If needed I like to just back it up with a simple SPG only consol. Mine is an AL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom