Best knot to tie cylinders to the rail on a boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, you are doing variants on a half-hitch. It would be better to put the non-bowline end through the bowline, and pull it tight, like using the bowline as a pulley, and tie the half-hitches around around the line that is NOT the bowline. Use several half-[hitches spaced out, with only the last two being snugged against each other. Not bad to untie.
Thanks for being patient ... I didn’t explain that very well :)

I’ll try that, I was struggling sometimes to untie the rope.

Maybe I’ll carry a bungee with a hook in my bag like @lowviz suggested.

Thanks for being patient ... I didn’t explain that very well :)

I’ll try that, I was struggling sometimes to untie the rope.

Maybe I’ll carry a bungee with a hook in my bag like @lowviz suggested.
Some hitches are designed to be tightened, but easily released. Take a look at the Trucker's Hitch, or the Midshipman's Hitch.

I use a highwaymans hitch when tieing my boat to the fuel dock. Easy to tie, easy to remove. Unless there is a cleat, which makes life easy.

Bungee cords, metal hook on either end. The boat provides a container full of them in various lenghts. Up to the diver to secure his/her rig so that it won't fall.
Good example of telling someone the objective, but not telling them how to attain it.
The OP knows the objective (secure his/her rig so that it won't fall), he was asking how to do that.
Oh, and he asked about using the rope provided.

@BlueTrin, Here is a 'cattle drive' (not a cattle boat, but is doing that to get as many of its divers onto a favorite dive site in nearly ideal conditions (2-4' seas).

Everybody is bungeed in and making as much room as possible for one's neighbors. Think sea taxi on this trip. Everybody keeping the mood light and friendly on the way to the dive site...

Bungee.jpg

Uh, buy a few bungees in lengths that you think are useful. You can hook them together if too short and wrap them if too long...

Using rope sucks. Do you do that?
Yep, I understand bungees. He asked about tying a rope.

Yep, I understand bungees. He asked about tying a rope.
Understood.

Sometimes one comes to the table with his/her best guess. I appreciate that. I also appreciate a person who can accept that there may be a solution that may not be what he/she first presumed.

I happen to love knotwork, but forget that on securing tanks! Seriously, given that bungees exist, what are you guys thinking???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom