Boat diving.Do we have it all wrong?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your waffling, don’t change the subject, tell me the specific situation that would require a diver to physically lift 100 kg underwater, if there is none then there not required to lift it on land.
1) A set of double 100s or a backmount CCR is half that weight so quit exaggerating what is being expected of supposedly fit and qualified divers.
2) Having someone who can't move their own basic gear around is like having an injured or disabled diver on every charter. That person requires almost all of the crew's attention. So that means the remainder of the paying passengers get little or no attention. If one of those other divers is incapacitated or injured there aren't enough hands to manage the new injured person and the diver who boarded the boat unable to do anything on their own right from the get go.
3) If someone requires 100% of the crew's attention then they should pay for their own private charter and/or additional spaces for extra crew or in-water supervision. It's common in adaptive diving to hire or get volunteers as extra support staff but that's not what we're talking about here.
4) SB has officially lost its mind.

Well, the good news is there's plenty of good shore diving. And probably some boats happy to accommodate sidemount. But it shouldn't be expected of boat crews to accommodate every special request. It's cool if they want to, but the default expectation should be a certain level of personal capability.

Nobodies talking about expectations but I think if you owned a boat, you'd leave that hard headed attitude at home. Thankfully, we have yet to run across a boat and crew that isn't happy to work with her. Scuba diving is a service industry, you need customers to keep paying the dockage but then again - it's your business, run it as you wish.

Nobodies talking about expectations but I think if you owned a boat, you'd leave that hard headed attitude at home. Thankfully, we have yet to run across a boat and crew that isn't happy to work with her. Scuba diving is a service industry, you need customers to keep paying the dockage but then again - it's your business, run it as you wish.

If you're calling ahead and they agree to it, that's completely different. They're accepting the increased workload and responsibility. It's the assumption that they should just be willing to accommodate by default that I have issues with.

I agree with @helodriver87 points and I will add that the conditions in general can be *much* harder in the Atlantic Ocean in Ireland than what most of you deal with. So @mac64 surely a higher fitness level in Ireland as conditions are harder should be more prevalent? I get what you mean though, diving off ribs with no ladders with D12s is annoying and slightly difficult never mind in bad conditions with 6’ waves, not uncommon at all.

1) A set of double 100s or a backmount CCR is half that weight so quit exaggerating what is being expected of supposedly fit and qualified divers.
2) Having someone who can't move their own basic gear around is like having an injured or disabled diver on every charter. That person requires almost all of the crew's attention. So that means the remainder of the paying passengers get little or no attention. If one of those other divers is incapacitated or injured there aren't enough hands to manage the new injured person and the diver who boarded the boat unable to do anything on their own right from the get go.
3) If someone requires 100% of the crew's attention then they should pay for their own private charter and/or additional spaces for extra crew or in-water supervision. It's common in adaptive diving to hire or get volunteers as extra support staff but that's not what we're talking about here.
4) SB has officially lost its mind.
My steel twins with regs weights 88 pounds on land so maybe you can tell me when would I need to lift the equivalent weight underwater because if I don’t need to able to lift it in the water I don’t need to be able to lift it to dive

I have not always found myself on the same side as @mac64 In this case, I find myself firmly on his side of the discussion.

I'm only 66, fit, and in good health. I may need assistance some day to continue my diving, I hope that I am able to find it

I have not always found myself on the same side as @mac64 In this case, I find myself firmly on his side of the discussion.

I'm only 66, fit, and in good health. I may need assistance some day to continue my diving, I hope that I am able to find it

Personally, I plan to scale back when I can't do things on my own anymore. Occasional help is part of the game. If it's a particularly rough day or I have an excessive amount of gear, I'd hope for some help, but be prepared to manage on my own somehow if need be. But if I ever find myself unable to do something without relying on someone else, I'll adjust my expectations/plans. Maybe it's just my personality, but I'm not going to ask someone else to take responsibility for me under normal circumstances.

Personally, I plan to scale back when I can't do things on my own anymore. Occasional help is part of the game. If it's a particularly rough day or I have an excessive amount of gear, I'd hope for some help, but be prepared to manage on my own somehow if need be. But if I ever find myself unable to do something without relying on someone else, I'll adjust my expectations/plans. Maybe it's just my personality, but I'm not going to ask someone else to take responsibility for me under normal circumstances.
You are 32, I remember 32. I ran a marathon in less than 3 hrs I was invincable. Now, I have 2 hip replacements, but remain active, fit, and relatively strong. Tell me this again in 34 years.

You are 32, I remember 32. I ran a marathon in less than 3 hrs I was invincable. Now, I have 2 hip replacements, but remain active, fit, and relatively strong. Tell me this again in 34 years.

I've come up against my own limits before. I recognize that there are some things I just can't do safely. I've made my peace with that. That's a part of the climbing example I used earlier. I'd like to think I'll still be able to make those judgement calls in 34 years.

I did not run marathons, but I was somewhat invincible. Getting old is hell, no matter what your fitness and diet regimen are.

I wonder how many of helodriver87's dive ops would be out of business without us old farts and blue-haired ladies paying for diving trips? I see a lot of us old folks in dive shops and on dive boats. For most of us, we have the time and the money to pay for diving and dive travel. Young people, not so much!

Be thankful and give us a hand up the ladder! It takes a village.

cheers,
m²V2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom