ScubaBoard needs your help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is scubaboard your primary source of income chairman?

If so I understand, but if it's just a hobby I can't imagine hosting costs are very much for this site.

I spend way too much time here NOT to be a supporter so...

UnpleasantConsciousGroundbeetle-size_restricted.gif

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

There are technical issues which don't make the process automatic. Making people "go red" has to be done manually at the moment. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope for your understanding. Your contribution is highly appreciated no matter your public status. If you think that things go too slowly, email support@scubaboard.com to voice your concern. We will reply (or react) as soon as practically possible

I appreciate the reply. Definitely didn't do it for recognition. Mainly just wanted to make sure my contribution went through

I appreciate the reply. Definitely didn't do it for recognition. Mainly just wanted to make sure my contribution went through

There's nothing wrong with asking.

didn't do it for recognition.
Didn't assume so either. But as you point out, it's really nice to know if stuff has gone through. So, asking is absolutely and very much acceptable. If in doubt, shoot a (preferably polite) email to support@scubaboard.com

As already said, we'll try hard to follow up as soon as practically possible.

Thank you Pete and the entire board of contributors and members! I hope that the forum will continue to thrive!
Cheers.

Thank you!!

If so I understand, but if it's just a hobby I can't imagine hosting costs are very much for this site.

Clearly, I'm not the Chairman, but I'll pipe in on this question.

Owning a bulletin board has more expense than you might think. Server costs may not be high, but maintenance costs add up quickly. If it's not your primary source of income, that means you have to pay people to help maintain it. It's also common to spiff the moderators since they are being asked to police the board in various sections on their own time to keep order on the board. Software often has licensing fees and ongoing maintenance fees as well. If this board runs out of money and has to switch to WordPress format, you may as well stop coming to the board, it will be useless.

Ad revenues tend to be lower on bulletin boards because the content is fairly specific. Viewers of this board are primarily divers (or like me getting back into diving after years of hiatus). When you have a very narrow scope of viewers, the ad revenues are not high, even with high daily view averages.

If you believe you receive value and enjoy spending time reading the board, donate. If not, then don't...

Yes, it is. It takes a lot to administer both in time and financially. I used to make some as an instructor, but nary a class this year.

I have to admit that I thought this thread had run its course... and then someone revives it and the money that comes in when they do, really, really helps. Many, many thanks to those that care to support us. We are working on the new ScubaBoard because I can finally afford to. I think you'll really, really like what we've got for you.

No worries, totally understand it can be a time sink too, not just a money sink.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom