One missing off of La Maddalena, Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Diver goes missing off La Maddalena - English
(ANSA) - LA MADDALENA, 19 AGO - A scuba diver went missing off La Maddalena in Sardinia on Wednesday.
The local port authority has ordered a search.
According to initial reports, the man went missing off the island of Caprera.
Port authority vessels are looking for him.
Police divers are also being used.
The man's identity was not immediately made known.
The authority said they did not know when he had made his dive.
They said they were also unaware of "the circumstances surrounding his disappearance".

let's hope for the best !

Scuba diver found dead off Sardinia - English
(ANSA) - LA MADDALENA, 19 AGO - A 54-year-old female scuba diver was found dead off Sardinia on Wednesday.
Antonella Piccello, a tourist from Padua, was found dead off the island of Caprera near La Maddalena.
She was brought back up by friends who were diving with her but all efforts to revive her failed.
Medics said she probably suffered a heart attack shortly after diving.
The friends had taken her to Monaci island to await the arrival of an emergency helicopter.

Isn't this the same incident (and same location) as you already posted in another thread? Just a 'her' and 'he' translation difference? Or a seperate incident at the same place?

Isn't this the same incident (and same location) as you already posted in another thread? Just a 'her' and 'he' translation difference? Or a seperate incident at the same place?

Sounds like 2 separate incidents. One a 54 year old woman diving with friends the other a 19 year old man who is missing. I dont know the area. Are La Maddalena and Sardinia the the same site? Regardless, sad news. Hope they find the missing diver.

Just a 'her' and 'he' translation difference?
I wondered why they were so similar with differences in gender but I think you're right. I asked the Mods to delete the other thread and leave this one with the better translation.

Sounds like 2 separate incidents. One a 54 year old woman diving with friends the other a 19 year old man who is missing. I dont know the area. Are La Maddalena and Sardinia the the same site? Regardless, sad news. Hope they find the missing diver.
I don't think the "19" in the other one was an age. I think Kay is right.

"19 AGO" means the 19th of August...
It is the same accident. The first news were launched as soon as the coast guard was alerted. The second one was given after the body was recovered.
More details are available now in Italian news. They say that the female diver was in distress just after splashing down, signalling difficulty of breathing. The DM attempted to give her his regulator, but the problem was not related to equipment, she had probably cardiopulmonary problems.
The whole group immediately resurfaced with her, but at surface she was already unconscious. Several attempts of resuscitation did fail, and finally she was pronounced dead.
From what is published in Italian news, it appears either a cardiac event or a case of lung oedema.
Tragica immersione a Caprera, muore turista di 54 anni - Sardegna
The diving site was Isolotto dei Monaci, as shown in the following map, where you also see Caprera and la Maddalena. These are small islands close to the North of Sardinia, some of the best diving sites of the whole Mediterranean sea:
FOTO-ARTICOLI_isolotti_monaci.png

Sad to hear this, it is beautiful diving there, I was stationed there in early ‘80s with the US Navy.

Back
Top Bottom