Recommendations for a Newbie SoCal diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mentioned in another thread you're not planning to dive soon. Specific recommendations might change within a short time. In the last few months, an instructor I would heartily endorse caught COVID, slowly recovered, and just started getting back into diving. Another instructor I like is having some mystery medical issues that don't appear to be COVID-related but are keeping her out of the water for the foreseeable future. A third awesome instructor I know is still teaching but is going in for hip replacement surgery as soon as they'll take him--most elective surgeries have been postponed. A fourth is still sheltering in place because her husband is immunocompromised. Meanwhile my favorite buddy, who has done more to help me up my shore diving game than any instructor, is training to be a DM; he might be ready for you by the time you're ready to dive.

If you're boat diving, I'd just contact the dive shop chartering the boat and ask them about a DM. Or, again, go with Catalina Diver's Supply at the dive park. If you show up without enough thermal protection, they can get you set up. They have these little clip-on weights to help you play around and figure out how much you need, and you can leave the extras near the steps to pick them up on your way out. You can do several dives on your schedule; the stairs make for easy entries and exits, and they can fill your tank right there. I used them to get me the rest of the way to where my OW course should've gotten me, and again when I needed to finish dialing in my weight and buoyancy in a drysuit.

Yes, my diving plans are yo yo-ing big time these days.
I have a trip planned (since February) to Asia in October but I don’t have confidence that will happen.
So I thought since diving is opening up locally, it may be a good time to try California diving.
I can’t say for sure I’ll get in the water sooner rather than later but I’d like to know my options.

Because of AB5- Some dive boats and organizations have been unable or willing to book a DM to guide customers.
Bummer, I would get three dives & $100+.
Good Divin,
SoCalRich

Back
Top Bottom