Making the leap: help choosing first rb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think @tbone1004 has the answer that a lot of people will trend towards in the future with regard to traveling and rebreathers. With a backplate and wing, STA, and the Choptima, you can travel with everything in a pillow case and have a fully capable unit. Not to mention the price point is at a significant advantage over all the other choices.

Bad information in the try dive.
I am repeating what a non rebreather diver told me had been told to him by the instructor. I am not a rEvo diver so I don't know but for whatever reason he was asked not to go inverted on the rEvo.

I am repeating what a non rebreather diver told me had been told to him by the instructor. I am not a rEvo diver so I don't know but for whatever reason he was asked not to go inverted on the rEvo.

there is zero flood tolerance in the Revo. If there is water in the loop and you go inverted, that water is a straight shot to your mouth.

Also, it doesn’t breathe well at perfect trim, it breathes NONE inverted, lol

Rebreather tanks and how they trim out.

I'm not very familiar with the tank dimensions and having trouble finding them. The Optima comes with these AL 20 tanks, the Liberty and what seems like most others come with a 3 liter steel tank. I want to travel and it seems that I can get 2 and 3 liter tanks in Truk and Bikini - I'm not sure about say Soroco, Galapagos and the Raj type area from resorts and from live aboards. I've seen the 3 liter tanks around and I think I've seen shorter ones too - the Optima tank seems like a oddball size - Is that true? If it is - how do you travel with an Optima?

Trim - I see the Optima has this extra "pillow" bladder at the bottom of the wing for added lift to help with trim... How do other units trim out? Do they need help? I'd be wet suit diving mostly.....

lots of tanks available during travel for Optima. I dove my first trip in BOnaire with the standard Optima in just shorts and a T-shirt. The trim pillow is awesome

the second trip to Bonaire was in a CM, also using shorts and a T-shirt. No trim issues.

I like the way the dil injects directly on the cells for fast cell validation. I understand Cis Lunar patented that process and Poseidon now owns it.
Other than using sensor fusion http://www.deeplife.co.uk/or_files/Test_Data_for_Sensor_Fusion_Algorithms_RV_130325.pdf, it’s the only eCCR methodology out there that automatically mitigates the inherent risks of voting logic by design. Current limited and water blocked cells etc etc.
Link to the original White Paper https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj7i825ybLrAhXTJDQIHe5kDWgQFjAAegQIAxAB&url=https://zenodo.org/record/17661/files/MK6_White_Paper_v2.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1A-0txGEQM1RGZ2wHojgwB

Yeah the BOV is very good indeed. It's a remodelled XStream so it's a superlative regulator in and of itself, unlike many bolt-on BOV from many other manufacturers.
Any idea what it’s tested WOB in OC and CC modes is?

Nobody has yet died on one due to any cell issues of any kind, the 3 fatalities I am aware of
Unfortunately it would appear about the time they joined RESA that Poseidon stopped publishing their very good fatality accident analysis… I’m sure there is no correlation!

However there have been quite a few more than 3 known Poseidon CCR fatalities. I just counted ~10, that have been identified, at least one of which had the SSS. See Deep Life Design Team: databases and analysis of rebreather accident data
2 of the more recent ones are currently or were being investigated by UK HSE.
I expect in a few years accident analysis will be released by the US scientific diving community about their recent accident and that should be quite detailed based on precedent.

there is zero flood tolerance in the Revo. If there is water in the loop and you go inverted, that water is a straight shot to your mouth.

Also, it doesn’t breathe well at perfect trim, it breathes NONE inverted, lol

The 'water' is just condensation, collecting in the inhale lung, you can swallow it, or breath it out by pushing it through to the exhale lung. Then go inverted and push it out of the exhale lung and through the OPV by doing an inverted dil flush .... try it if you like drills. :)

The 'water' is just condensation, collecting in the inhale lung, you can swallow it, or breath it out by pushing it through to the exhale lung. Then go inverted and push it out of the exhale lung and through the OPV by doing an inverted dil flush .... try it if you like drills. :)

even Revo’s flood, lol

my very first caustic was from a Revo (my fault). My very second caustic was from a Revo (not my fault)

Brad
We all know that your accident database is unfortunately too biased...
But I admire your dedication to spread the gospel of your company:(
It's like the Infowars of rebreather news

even Revo’s flood, lol

my very first caustic was from a Revo (my fault). My very second caustic was from a Revo (not my fault)

I will append a common sense warning to the my message above "Don't swallow or breathe water from rEvo inhale lung if caustic"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom