Regulator set - Aqualung vs Apeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_anak_pulau_

Registered
Reaction score
Hello bubble makers,

Hoping to get some opinions. I've been reading up a lot with a view to buy my own set of regs. I've narrowed my choices down to Apeks (XTX200 or XTX50) or Aqualung (Leg3nd or Core). Was also lookong at Oceanic Delta 5.

The only thing that's holding me back from Apeks/Oceanic is the absence of ACD. Though seeing that all other brands of reg doesn't have ACD, I'm thinking it's probably not going to significantly reduce the life of the reg as long as it's been cared for appropriately and serviced regularly.

I usually go for dive-vacation multiple times per year so one that's not too heavy to travel with would be a + ; although this is not happening for the next 6-12months.

Appreciate your time and tips. Many thanks!

Can't say anything about how those compare to one another, but the XTX200 second stage is just a fancier looking XTX50, and you would just be wasting money on getting it over an XTX50.
The XTX50 coupled with an FSR first stage is a lovely combo though, and you can't go wrong with it.

I'm a lover of the Legend series. I have two with ACD that are 12 and 14 years old respectively. I really like the ACD feature. I just bought a Leg3nd Elite but have not yet dived it. I also own an older ATX200 and have dived it many times. It is a great reg too but I definitely prefer the Legends.

I'm a lover of the Legend series. I have two with ACD that are 12 and 14 years old respectively. I really like the ACD feature. I just bought a Leg3nd Elite but have not yet dived it. I also own an older ATX200 and have dived it many times. It is a great reg too but I definitely prefer the Legends.
What features of Legend brought you over the line between Legend and Apeks?

What features of Legend brought you over the line between Legend and Apeks?

There really aren’t any features other than the ACD that are different between them. That feature alone though is enough.

I want a fully adjustable reg including venturi assist & inhalation effort adjustments. They both offer that. To me it’s about how well they breath vs how easily they free flow. The Legends balance that perfectly while my Apeks ATX has always had a tendency to free flow if adjusted too ‘open.’ I’ve had it serviced & adjusted by multiple highly experienced techs. My ATX200 just requires more care & maintenance to keep it working properly than my Legends ever do. For the Legends I have them overhauled every two years & that’s it. Further adjustments or service have never been necessary.

Hello bubble makers,

Hoping to get some opinions. I've been reading up a lot with a view to buy my own set of regs. I've narrowed my choices down to Apeks (XTX200 or XTX50) or Aqualung (Leg3nd or Core). Was also lookong at Oceanic Delta 5.

The only thing that's holding me back from Apeks/Oceanic is the absence of ACD. Though seeing that all other brands of reg doesn't have ACD..............................snip.....................!

The difference between Apeks and Aqualung is pretty marginal, the difference between all the high-end regs is undetectable (in my opinion) and the gap between mid-tier regs and top-tier regs is mostly the glossy brochure, pretty face plates and fancy coatings. The XTX50 and XTX200 second stages are the same, the XTX200 first stage has a replaceable HP seat, which you'll likely never need, but might.

I have a Legend, breathes as well as any reg I've used. I also own a pair of XTX40 regs on DS4 1st stages, and pair of ScubaForce SM 5th port regs. You could through a blanket over them they're that close, but the Legend is by far the most expensive. I've never used an Oceanic reg but they were partnered with Hollis, whose regs breathe fine if you can get passed the price tag. Though I'm not a huge fan of the 212 or the 500SE, but the rest are good. Aqualung Core is probably the most common rental reg I have seen, I've serviced plenty, they're simple and easy and never had one let go on the boat. Same with the Titan.

Of your list, without knowing your diving, I'd get the XTX50. It is one of the more common regs I've seen in tech diving, its a very well proven reg. Its as good to breathe, maybe 50-60% of the price, and you won't miss the ACD.

The 50 doesn't?
The XTX50 first stage (DST) does not have a removable HP Valve Seat (Apeks terminology) also called an orifice or crown by other manufacturers. What is often called an HP Seat is called a “HP Valve” by Apeks and that is replaceable as one would expect.

I had that choice to make a few months back and went with the XTX 200 with XTX 50 octo. Really happy with my set so far.

The difference between Apeks and Aqualung is pretty marginal, the difference between all the high-end regs is undetectable (in my opinion) and the gap between mid-tier regs and top-tier regs is mostly the glossy brochure, pretty face plates and fancy coatings. The XTX50 and XTX200 second stages are the same, the XTX200 first stage has a replaceable HP seat, which you'll likely never need, but might.

I have a Legend, breathes as well as any reg I've used. I also own a pair of XTX40 regs on DS4 1st stages, and pair of ScubaForce SM 5th port regs. You could through a blanket over them they're that close, but the Legend is by far the most expensive. I've never used an Oceanic reg but they were partnered with Hollis, whose regs breathe fine if you can get passed the price tag. Though I'm not a huge fan of the 212 or the 500SE, but the rest are good. Aqualung Core is probably the most common rental reg I have seen, I've serviced plenty, they're simple and easy and never had one let go on the boat. Same with the Titan.

Of your list, without knowing your diving, I'd get the XTX50. It is one of the more common regs I've seen in tech diving, its a very well proven reg. Its as good to breathe, maybe 50-60% of the price, and you won't miss the ACD.
My LDS quoted the Oceanic Delta 5 as AUD100 cheaper than the Apeks XTX50 + XTX40 octopus combo. Leg3nd comes in as the most expensive out of all the 3 that I'm considering. Oceanic does have lifetime free parts offer but it does required annual "inspection" and 2nd yearly servicing; which although all published info would recommend annual inspection, I know in real life, people tend to stretch it out a little bit more.

Back
Top Bottom