Easy/shallow dive in Key West?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once looked into a shore dive from Zachary Taylor State Beach at the very South tip of Key West. Didn't do it and don't know the exact logistics, but may be worth a look and inquire locally or on the Florida sub forum?
Not much to see there, the current smokes through there, and the boats run close right off the swim buoys.

I wouldn't get in there for love nor money.

Since my wife worked for Captain Hook's until quite recently, I didn't want to say anything, but I quite agree. Having hired folks out of Looe Key Dive Center, I really agree.

Loved the Captain Hook crew and professional atmosphere.

I don’t have a dive site or shop suggestion but ai have another suggestion. Since it’s you and two kids and your very first dives alone, maybe look for a shop where you can hire a divemaster to Dive with you. I don’t know how young your kids are, but if one of them has an issue are you prepared enough to be able to help? Also, watching over kids and significant others while diving can distract from the dive. If you want to really have a worry free good first experience with your kids, hiring a guide or dive master can be a great experience.

My "sons" are 21 and 23 years old. They are more likely to be helping Dad than Dad helping them

Key Largo, Looe Key and Key West the reefs are pretty hammered, at least the ones they take the tourists. Islamorada and Marathon reefs, IMO, are much prettier and get a little less traffic.

That said, Hooks and Finz are both good choices. I would also suggest, if budget allows, just "buy" a six pack boat and control the whole boat. Then they go were you want.

Pay extra and get a dm to dive with you. Crystal reef iirc will put one with you for free, just ask. Having a experienced diver babysitting is good, and someone local will make a good guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom