Cayman - Picture of the Day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out over the West Wall, Trinity Caves
DSC07254.jpg

I love swimming through that sort of tunnel on the north. First, as you go through and the tarpon separate, it feels like chasing pigeons in the park; second, at the end of the tunnel, you are out over the north wall.

If the dive site you were shooting was tarpon alley, it's near the cut and a good spot to potentially spot pelagics off the wall. Over the years I have been fortunate enough to see reef sharks, eagle rays and even a hammerhead there. Best strategy is to try to be the first through the tunnel out to the wall and to act stealthy.

If the dive site you were shooting was tarpon alley, it's near the cut and a good spot to potentially spot pelagics off the wall.

Crew briefed it as Tarpon Tunnels. I've dived Tarpon Alley a few times, and it looked like the same dive/same general location. I did a web search and it looks like the same site is referred to by both names.

With the 365 it's hard to keep track. If it's the site right by the Stingray City Cut, to my knowledge it's been called Tarpon Alley for at least 30 years.
For the past few years, I've dived Little a lot more than Grand and I'm sure some new moorings have been put in.

In any case, nice pic.

Yes, there have been a number of new moorings installed over the last few years. That being said, for those of us that have been around the GC block for awhile, it seems that with every batch of new dive instructors that land on island, site names change.:rolleyes:

Tarpon Alley has notably always been a good site for sighting sharks, and turtles, as well as the tarpon. I've actually seen as much back in the shallower reef area, as I have the Wall, especially Hammerheads, despite being void of healthy sponge/coral.

Nice photo Mike, good move going black & white!!

Back
Top Bottom