Making the leap: help choosing first rb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you plan on getting into deco diving go with the nerd, you’ll have redundant depth and decompression info. Also nice to set nerd to compass hot dropping. My wrist computer had a button fail and I borrowed another unit which doesnt have a nerd and i miss it. Really nice to have moving between stops when your hands and arms are busy with a reel since you have depth and some po2 info in your eye.

@Zebra 1
You'll be able to find something when travelling with the O2ptima. 2l's are usually available
O2ptima will likely travel better, especially the Choptima
iBov won't have any more jaw fatigue, the biggest thing is the face MAV's. Less chest clutter and you always know where your face is for gas addition. It also removes the ADV since it is built into the bov which is nice.
O2ptima is narrower, but it's not "narrow". You'll be fine with either unit on a boat
Both will do wreck pen comparably well, though the O2ptima is certainly more durable than the prism due to less plastic
Personal and budget preference. I like the NERDs...
Doesn't really require more attention. The SOLO board reads 1-3, and the OBOE reads 2-4 *it may actually be 1/2/4 but I can't remember and it's not that important*. None of the computers will read all 4 at once. The only unit that I'm aware of that has and displays all 4 cells is the Liberty which is also the only unit that lets you manually vote cells out which I think is really nice!
Thanks. What is a Choptima?

I make about $100k per month. I couldn’t give a rats butt if I ever taught again. It’s pretty nice being able to be selective on students I teach.

I think you could make $200k per month teaching people how to make $100k per month and go scuba diving. A straw pole of my buddies would indicate the two are mutually exclusive.

lol, I never wanted to be an instructor on the Revo. I quit diving the Revo long before I became any instructor on any unit. I make about $100k per month. I couldn’t give a rats butt if I ever taught again. It’s pretty nice being able to be selective on students I teach.

Hopefully you got a few more classes left in you............

Superlyte is clearly a want to be butt hurt rEvo instructor back in the days when rEvo had a very tight rein on who can instructs on the unit.

Yeah, but for so many years now and still maintaining a rEvo profile picture sounds pathological ;(

If you plan on getting into deco diving go with the nerd,

Absolutely. Depending individual setup of course, but the N is quite a good step forward.

Yeah, but for so many years now and still maintaining a rEvo profile picture sounds pathological ;(

Absolutely. Depending individual setup of course, but the N is quite a good step forward.
Im resistant to change. I haven’t looked at that picture in nearly a decade.

I really appreciate everyones input and help, can we please stay away from comments about how sporting spearfishing is, that's a whole other discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom