Dive planner apps / site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlphaDuff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone recommend a dive planning app / site? Primarily Recreational diving with 12Ltr on air. Want to use something for planning surface intervals etc

Also in before anyone goes for the whole traditional "dive tables" are best response. Understood and received but I'd like to use a convenient tool thank you very much!

Subsurface would work for that and it's free. It's far more capable than you need (it can plan multiple-gas decompression dives) and the interface is imho not very good but it's a great tool once you get past the interface problems.

Just as word of warning though, it won't spit out pressure groups or anything like for you. It'll show you maximum NDLs. You need to put in the start time for repetitive dives, so you'll have to manually adjust it a bit to toy around with dive lengths and surface intervals. You can read the user manual here Subsurface Version 4 User Manual | Subsurface and look for section 14, and 14.6 (for repetitive dives)

If you just want something to do the the math really quickly on the tables for you checkout wolfram alpha's calculators Wolfram|Alpha Examples: Diving

Subsurface would work for that and it's free. It's far more capable than you need (it can plan multiple-gas decompression dives) and the interface is imho not very good but it's a great tool once you get past the interface problems.

Just as word of warning though, it won't spit out pressure groups or anything like for you. It'll show you maximum NDLs. You need to put in the start time for repetitive dives, so you'll have to manually adjust it a bit to toy around with dive lengths and surface intervals. You can read the user manual here Subsurface Version 4 User Manual | Subsurface and look for section 14, and 14.6 (for repetitive dives)

If you just want something to do the the math really quickly on the tables for you checkout wolfram alpha's calculators Wolfram|Alpha Examples: Diving
That wolfram calculator is very handy. Thanks!

Realistically the simplest tool I think is the PADI electronic dive planner. It's easy to use, mobile, allows you to do multilevel and square profiles. It's just flat out easy to use.

Can anyone recommend a dive planning app / site? Primarily Recreational diving with 12Ltr on air. Want to use something for planning surface intervals etc

Also in before anyone goes for the whole traditional "dive tables" are best response. Understood and received but I'd like to use a convenient tool thank you very much!

Where are you diving? If somewhere sensible, like at home, you will get good surface intervals. Aim at a couple of hours and an hour as minimum. With two hours you are unlikely to be exceeding NDL on your second dive unless you are quite good with gas consumption. I just ran last weekend’s dives through the PADI thing recommended here and it was giving me about 15 minutes less time on the second dive than we really had. These were square scenic dive in Scotland using a Suunto on A0 and a Perdix on 40/85 (or whatever ‘medium’ is).

On the other hand, if you are doing tourist dives in warm places, especially where the majority of divers is non European, they will squeeze the SI to get the boat out again for afternoon or night dives. Then you do risk running out of NDL on a second dive.

I suggest learning to dive without excessive NDL worry.

Find a club or centre

It looks like DUSAC is only for the University, but maybe you can blag something as you are already a diver.

Back
Top Bottom