Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubadreams82

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m looking at upgrading my regs for tech diving. What are y’all’s thought on the Mares 25 XR CR? TIA

Hi
Why do you think you need to "upgrade". I am sure you can still use your reg. Just buy another 1st stage like yoy have and you are fine for "tech diving"

I think I would pass.

DW

Hi
Why do you think you need to "upgrade". I am sure you can still use your reg. Just buy another 1st stage like yoy have and you are fine for "tech diving"

What do you mean? Doesn't he need two full regulator sets, first and second stages?

What do you mean? Doesn't he need two full regulator sets, first and second stages?
I don't know what the op has already but if i guess correctly from his/her post, (s)he already has a set (one 1st, two 2nd) so to start to do "tech", only one 1st is needed.
Later on more regs will be needed sure but it is good to start first
Don't you agree?

Yeah, either buy just another matching first stage to go with your existing kit... or buy another regulator all together.

Hi

How can you be sure another reg like they have will be fine for tech diving? Depends entirely on the reg he / she has. And what do you / they call tech diving?. For any serious OC tech diving you need the very best quality, least breathing resistant primary regs you can (afford) to buy. It is the one (life support) item an OC 'tech diver' should never skimp on. WOB / underperforming regs have played a significant role in narcosis events and even accidents in the past. Buy the best, shitcan the rest!

I’m looking at upgrading my regs for tech diving. What are y’all’s thought on the Mares 25 XR CR? TIA

I wouldn't buy them, but that is personal to my set up rather than an indictment on the regulator. I don't like the configuration. The Apeks Tek3 is the same but with an extra LP port, and I really dislike the Tek3 hose routing and its versatility. I prefer the turret regulators with a 5th port for backmount twins, much neater routing and takes me 5mins to swap hoses around to dive sidemount.

There is probably a 1000 posts of "is this reg good for tech?" Also, without knowing what you are using, no way to know if the Mares is an "up grade".

that said, I prefer regulators that I can manually adjust/de-tune on the fly. Mares has been hawking that by-pass tube since the MR12 days, and by the way, my MR12 III would free-flow, and I actually used it for tech as a necklace reg (many moons ago).

Not being snobby but I would never use the terms "Upgrade" and "Mares" in the same sentence (unless it was "upgrading from Mares....").

How can you be sure another reg like they have will be fine for tech diving? Depends entirely on the reg he / she has. And what do you / they call tech diving?. For any serious OC tech diving you need the very best quality, least breathing resistant primary regs you can (afford) to buy. It is the one (life support) item an OC 'tech diver' should never skimp on. WOB / underperforming regs have played a significant role in narcosis events and even accidents in the past. Buy the best, shitcan the rest!
if you believe so, fine but the problem is more about gas density than about "underperforming regs"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom