Cost of gear back in the day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't allowed on a night dive, because I don't have a "night diving certification". I'm pretty sure they just wanted to sell me the cert and we're expecting me to back out ...
How can you be trusted to turn on a flashlight without the proper training?

View attachment 606290
This is the $740 computer. I will let it go for only $370 and will include shipping!!! If you pay full price I might even personally deliver it to you.

I had the exact same computer. I sold it on EBay a few months ago for $20 (minimum reserve) plus shipping...... Someone gave it to me in the early 2000's so I didn't take the depreciation....

My first set of gear..... 1979

Aquarius reg, Dacor gauge, tank, knife and capillary depth gauge $359.50

Attachments

• Jack's gear.jpg
    Jack's gear.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 69
My first set of gear..... 1979

Aquarius reg, Dacor gauge, tank, knife and capillary depth gauge $359.50
According to US Inflation Calculator that's $1,283.01 in 2020 dollars. I bet you could get a set of gear for that much. Surely wouldn't be "top of the line" but I bet it would work just fine.

live in PA i remember going into Kmart late 60'S. the sporting goods dept had every thing you needed to dive
tank , reg, mask, fins, snorkel most of it was healthways no questions asked.

Gear is much cheaper now relative to the dollar adjusted for inflation. The difference is you need a lot more gear now as opposed to then by today’s norms.

In the summer of 1966 I bought from Don’s Dive Shop in Detroit a steel 72 tank with K valve backpack and regulator for $99. The only instructions were. Breathe normally and don’t hold your breath. Didn’t get certified until 1972.
I worked for Don’s brother, Bob?, at Seaway Diving in Detroit in early 1970’s. I recall they didn’t get along. I remember free coffee at the shop and firemen coming in to fill their tanks. Worst part of the job was having to cut and tailor expensive wet suits. Fun times in Motown.

I worked for Don’s brother, Bob?, at Seaway Diving in Detroit in early 1970’s. I recall they didn’t get along. I remember free coffee at the shop and firemen coming in to fill their tanks. Worst part of the job was having to cut and tailor expensive wet suits. Fun times in Motown.
I took NAUI certification class at Miami-Dade Junior College as my physical education requirement in 1970. Dove once with Carl Gage out of Key Largo. Also did cold water dive in Tobermory, Ontario, Canada, and several inland lakes in Michigan. Fun times!

I remember going to Seaway and the feud Don & Bob had. Bought gear from both of them. 😂 but I didn’t tell each of them of others purchase. 🤪

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom