Importing Dive Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, Has anyone every shipped tanks to the Philippines?

I've ordered a set of tanks but they are now stuck in customs in Cebu. The agent is telling me that customs want to charge 10.1 USD per Kg...

My tanks have come from the USA and at this rate then the duty is nearly double what I paid for the tanks.

Prior to shipping then I expected them to be classified as watersports equipment and therefore liable to 1% duty +GST. The paperwork has the necessary HS 9606.29 code and sold as recreational dive tanks on it.

Any advice welcome. At this current rate then it will be almost cheaper scrapping them and buying locally :mad:

If I may be so bold to ask, why did you order cylinders from the US for use in PH?

Are they something non-standard? Aquaventure Whitetip, Pacifica, TechAsia (part of AsiaDivers) are all dealers of Luxfer and/or Catalina Cylinders....

Plus, there's a flood of AL80's hitting the used market from (unfortunately) dive shops downsizing or going belly-up

But, after looking, it sounds like they're charging under heading 76.11 "Compressed Gas Cylinders"...
Screenshot_20200826-195035_Drive.jpg

Attachments

• 20200826_194611.jpg
    20200826_194611.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 101
$10.10/Kg? Lol. Sounds like someone is fishing for a bribe.

$10.10/Kg? Lol. Sounds like someone is fishing for a bribe.

Possible. My guess is they're trying to double code the import, which as I understand is not allowed. (i.e. Sports Equipment xx.xx and Aluminum Gas Cylinder 76.11).... One of those charges could be going into pockets....

Edit: As I read this Rule 3, I understand it to mean only one duty code shall be assigned...
Screenshot_20200826-200036_Drive.jpg

I was offered 40 new cylinders and valves that were going somewhere else for a good price and decided to head to the Philippines...

Gotcha. Honestly might not have been a bad decision.... See the pictures I added above, see if that helps you with the Customs people. If you need (or want), I know of a guy in PG with around a hundred AL80 cylinders up for sale... used, unsure of hydro status...

Thanks for the pics, do you have the source url? I’ve approached an agent in Manila, hopefully then can help out.

If it does work out then you guys are more than welcome to head to Southern Leyte next year and test them out!

Thanks for the pics, do you have the source url? I’ve approached an agent in Manila, hopefully then can help out.

Here's the PDF.... I have no idea how old it is, it was the first hit when I searched. So there may be some adjustments to the evaluations, but the principals should remain consistent.

Alternatively, I found this look-up table... Tariff Finder - Tariff Finder

Attachments

• ph041en.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom