Help me understand the different BCD types.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenderson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a new diver, with about 10 dives, and am a bit confused about the differences between all the BCDs there are. I've only ever used the jacket/vest type, and they have never really fit all that well. I've been reading quite a bit, but don't get some of the pros and cons of each of the different types.

I've used the jacket/vest for all my dives so I get that type. When they do fit it seems ok to dive in, but I'm still not sure how much I like them.

Back inflate, never tried one, but it at least seems a bit better then the full vest.

Wing, are these much different from a back inflate? I know they look a bit different, but they almost seem very similar to me.

Back plate wing, these are usually build it yourself correct?

Are there any other types of BCDs? My local shop only rents the vest type and I'd like to try out a couple of others. I believe when I go this weekend I'll be able to rent a wing.

I know this is subjective, but why are the prices between different types so, strange. My shop sells Aqualung, the Outlaw is just over $400, the Rogue is $600, they don't seem to be hugely different, a few extra parts, but not an almost $200 price difference.

Most people would buy a backplate and wing already made from their favourite brand.

I cannot comment on the Rogue vs Outlaw but if you google you can find websites comparing them, then I guess it’s up to you to know if the differences are worth it ?

In the most general sense, there are two types of BCDs: jacket type and back-inflate. BPW is a back-inflate made out of a backplate, wing, and a harness. You can put together your own rig if you're so inclined, or you can buy one out of the components you select and have a shop assemble it for you. The benefit is that they are highly customizable. I've never used a BPW, but you'll find no shortage of Scubaboard folks who use them and swear by them.

The essential difference is that a jacket type will inflate both behind you as well as around your sides. A back-inflate (like the Hydros Pro) and a BPW will only inflate the wing/donut around the tank.

Jacket-type BCDs tend to put the diver very vertical in the water when hanging out at the surface, and many beginners find that reassuring. With back-inflates you kinda have to lean back a little bit. Some people complain that it tips them face forward into the water, but I've never had that problem. Just bend your knees a bit and lean back. Very comfortable position. I find jacket-type BCDs too restrictive. They also tend to be a little positively buoyant due to all the padding they usually use. You'll have to compensate by adding lead.

As for price, well, that's a whole other issue. A BPW is probably your best bang-for-the-buck, unless you manage to find a deal on some other sort of BCD that you like (or buy used). I have a Scubapro Hyrdos Pro and I love it, but it is a pricey bit of kit.

I started out with a jacket style BC and dove with it for about 3 years. My wife was using a back inflate and I noticed it was much lighter weight than mine. When we were planning a trip to Fiji year before last, I found one like hers in my size at a reasonable price and bought it so as to reduce the weight I had to pack. After I started using it, I never put the jacket style back on. The back inflate just feels way more comfortable and I'm more stream-lined.

As for hanging out on the surface, I have no problem with the back inflate staying upright.

I've not used a BPW so can't comment on them, but I would think the characteristics of them in the water would be close to the same as a back inflate BC.

With a BPW (I imagine it's the same with a back inflate), you will not be pushed forward face in the water if you don't inflate fully your BCD.

Just inflate it well to be buoyant but not fully and you won't be pushed forward ...

General terms there are 4 types in common use:
1. Stab jacket - most common I know of in this style is the Scubapro Classic. Inflation is all around the shoulders and back, so no shoulder strap adjustability. Primary pro to this style is that it can float you face up if unconscious and NOT fully inflated. Work horribly if they don't fit you correctly.

2. Jacket style - the one you know, inflation is both on the back and under the arms. Adjustable shoulder straps. Will squeeze you when full, but also provides feedback on how full it is based on how much it is squeezing you. Will not float you on your back if unconscious. Ultralight weight ones are the lightest for travel.

3. Back inflate - Similar in fit and adjustability to the jacket style, but the inflation part is only in the back. No squeeze, no feedback on how full it is. This is a single piece unit (primarily, some have some modularity to them like the Zegals), you might also have more adjustability in the wiast strap/ cumberbund than a jacket style. Will keep you in more appropriate trim for diving position. Will not float you on your back if unconscious.

4. Back plate and wing - BPW is the most adjustable and modular of the bunch. As parts wear out (straps) or your needs change (wings) you can swap out those parts only and not have to buy all new. Inflation is only in the back. No squeeze, no feedback on how full it is. Infinitely adjustable, somewhat depending on what style harness you get; Hogarthian webbing only, or deluxe padded, more like a back inflate BC. Will keep you in more appropriate trim for diving position. Will not float you on your back if unconscious. There are options for very travel friendly light-weight systems, but those are pretty specialized (soft plates, tiny wings, etc).

Cost of the jacket and back inflate usually comes down to options (a lot of them useless or detrimental to most divers - you don't need 4 dumps and 65 d-rings, and don't even get me started on the inflate/deflate lever thing), material construction and marketing. A light fabric version will be billed as travel friendly, but it won't be as durable.

Cost for BPW, is a bit more all over the place. A plate is a plate for the most part. Pick steel if you need the ballast, aluminum if you don't. If you are shorter than 5'3" look for a short plate. Exotics exist (carbon fiber, titanium, dog bone shaped, Freedom plate) that meet specific requirements, but I wouldn't get one as a first go-around. Harnesses are a personal choice, most eventually end up with a bare webbing hogarthian style, but you can get as padded as you want. Cost for that is 30-40 for a DIY webbing to $150+ for deluxe options. Wings are a topic of their own, and there are countless threads on them. People will defend their decision as the best, but in my experience the differences are in minutia, and they all work about the same. Pick one with the options to you think you'll like in the appropriate lift range and don't think about it again for another decade or so when you need to replace it.

Scubaboard is strongly BPW oriented, the general diving public is not.

-Chris

In the most general sense, there are two types of BCDs: jacket type and back-inflate. BPW is a back-inflate made out of a backplate, wing, and a harness. You can put together your own rig if you're so inclined, or you can buy one out of the components you select and have a shop assemble it for you. The benefit is that they are highly customizable. I've never used a BPW, but you'll find no shortage of Scubaboard folks who use them and swear by them.

Jacket-type BCDs tend to put the diver very vertical in the water when hanging out at the surface, and many beginners find that reassuring. With back-inflates you kinda have to lean back a little bit. Some people complain that it tips them face forward into the water, but I've never had that problem. Just bend your knees a bit and lean back. Very comfortable position. I find jacket-type BCDs too restrictive. They also tend to be a little positively buoyant due to all the padding they usually use. You'll have to compensate by adding lead.

That helps a bit more. Sometimes too much information is just that and makes things actually harder to understand.

I'm quite comfortable in the water, I'm a swimmer and open water swimmer so getting water in my face is fine. I don't think that being pushed forward will be a problem, especially if it's easy to avoid.

With a BPW (I imagine it's the same with a back inflate), you will not be pushed forward face in the water if you don't inflate fully your BCD.

Just inflate it well to be buoyant but not fully and you won't be pushed forward ...

Yup. The only time I ran into the face plant issue was in the pool without a wetsuit and with the wing fully inflated.

Wearing even a 3mm short wetsuit provides enough buoyancy for me that I can fill the wing until the overfill valve burps and I can float comfortably (no face plant).

Or just don’t fully inflate the wing, lol.

It also depends where you plan to do most of your diving.
I use a lightweight folding back inflate travel BC in the tropics (Scubapro Lighthawk ) and a Diverite BP/wing if I am doing cold water diving.
The lightweight is IMO perfect for tropical travel and as it is back inflate, good for underwater photography.

Your suggestion to try out a number of options is a good one. Don't be in a rush to purchase and don't limit yourself to only what the LDS sells.

Back
Top Bottom