blacktips battery position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marc.collin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi

i have the tech body and i use 12 ah battery

somebody know the best position for battery to avoid scooter moving to left or right when we don't use it

actually i but battery around 8 o'clock.... but seem to move to right..

thank

Largely depends on the amount of torque it generates when under load. The old Gavins needed the handle to be at 3oclock when at rest so that they sat at 12oclock when moving. Seacraft and some of the scooters with anti torque fins and better engineering (e.g Genesis) have the handle closer to 12oclock or 1oclock when at rest. I imagine the blacktips are somewhere in the middle, if not towards the 12oclock side of things. You would then adjust the battery orientation to ensure this.

I think my tech tube came with the battery trays set up at the 3 o'clock position. I've only swapped it for my travel tube once, didn't have enough weight, and conditions were so bad we aborted the dive only a couple of minutes in since we couldn't see one another. I couldn't tell if it was pulling one way or another, but that's the way the tube shipped from Dive-X

divex said: we recommend batteries to be positioned at 3 o'clock (when looking from the diver's perspective behind the scooter) and the weight plate at 12 or 6 o'clock.

I don’t understand the part about the Black Tip’s weight plate at 6 or 12 o’clock; mine is uniformly round and not weighted to one side or the other.

Perhaps it’s moot since I took my plate out and I’m using lead shot now. I’m at 625g but still a little bit negatively buoyant. Going to drop another 25g to see how it behaves. We (Aquí Water Sports and @LandonL) left the nose cone voids at 12 o’clock empty.

As far as clocking the battery, I’m finding 2 o’clock is a lot more relaxed than 3 o’clock. With the battery at 3 o’clock, I have to drive with the handle at 3 o’clock (meaning the battery rotates down to 6 o’clock) otherwise I’m really wrestling the handle if trying to maintain the handle at 12 o’clock.

Driving with the handle at 3 o’clock just looks all kinds of gangster. Next thing you know I’m going to be wearing my Apeks shorts down way too low. I can see it now....popping up for the debrief and my Mom yelling at me from the boat (like Bobby Boucher’s Mom) to pull my pants up and that she didn’t make all those sacrifices to see me turn out to be a gangster tec diver.

I’m definitely still learning/training.

As far as the nose high characteristic, I’m a total noob so I don’t know any different but I like the technique of throwing the scooter between my legs and behind me to totally clear my workspace.

Back
Top Bottom