Any thoughts or insight as to when Bonaire may reopen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is just a wild ass guess with a political jab. Life goes on and there are ways to minimize the risks without wrecking every economy. As for an answer to the question.. who knows, I've got a trip fully booked for early 2021 and I would think they will open by then (even if I need to get a negative test within certain time period or whatever), but I don't know how anyone would have any idea. I don't even know whether I can get a haircut or eat at a restaurant from week to week.

For those of you who found out that your October Bonaire flights are cancelled, what were your dates? Our flight on American leaves on October 16, but we haven't heard anything yet from American yet. I fully expect cancellation.

It is just a wild ass guess with a political jab. Life goes on and there are ways to minimize the risks without wrecking every economy. As for an answer to the question.. who knows, I've got a trip fully booked for early 2021 and I would think they will open by then (even if I need to get a negative test within certain time period or whatever), but I don't know how anyone would have any idea. I don't even know whether I can get a haircut or eat at a restaurant from week to week.

Not a WAG. Fact. The Bonaire Reporter, if you read it, is a source of actual information about their ongoing governmental policy. Especially about CV-19 and who they are going to allow in and when. As far as a political jab. No jab, it's fact. There ain't no effing miracle coming.

End of August just announced.

Clarification added:
Sept 1 is the EARLIEST that US flights might get allowed in.
It looks as if this has just been extended to October 1st

4 Active cases here, so Bonaire became more closed again. The air bubble with Curacao has been stopped; and people flying from the Netherlands are actually required to be tested. If not, then a 14 day quarantine is required.

4 Active cases here, so Bonaire became more closed again. The air bubble with Curacao has been stopped; and people flying from the Netherlands are actually required to be tested. If not, then a 14 day quarantine is required.
Do you know what criteria they are using to decide which countries you are allowed to enter from? It looks as if currently you can enter Bonaire if you are from Belgium, Netherlands or France, all of which have much higher rates of infection per 100,000 than the UK. We have just had to postpone our trip for next week and I would be interested to know if there is anything in particular that they are basing their decisions on.

I don't know but I am not sure straight metrics on covid are NOT the only guiding principle in the decision making process as France's daily positivity rate is almost 3x higher than the US per JHU and has been for a while. I suspect the Netherlands close relationship with Bon and the desire to start somewhere were in the decision making process.

Sorry about your trip. This is what 2020 seems to be all about for travel and plans.

I don't know but I am not sure straight metrics on covid are NOT the only guiding principle in the decision making process as France's daily positivity rate is almost 3x higher than the US per JHU and has been for a while. I suspect the Netherlands close relationship with Bon and the desire to start somewhere were in the decision making process.

Sorry about your trip. This is what 2020 seems to be all about for travel and plans.

it all kinda sucks - I’m guessing it’s down to the fact Bonaire is technically a municipality of the Netherlands. Also, infection numbers are hard to compare due to different testing rates and strategies per country - numbers here (NL) are up, but hospital admissions are thankfully still minimal...

Back
Top Bottom