Best Practices for O2 Reg & Deco Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kurisuji

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good Afternoon All,

First post on ScubaBoard ... yay! I'm in the process of tec training, and have a handful of questions regarding Best Practices for O2 Reg & Deco Bottle care. Of course, this is something I'll learn more about in my courses and will discuss with my instructor, but I've also been doing a bunch of research to understand this nebulous topic as best I can (including reading many ScubaBoard threads) -- just curious to get the opinions of you experienced folks on this board as data points. Especially interested in the opinions of any trained O2 equipment service techs.

Please forgive my super detailed questions, but I've gotten paranoid reading all about O2 and I'm also an engineer, so I can't help it :)

(1) 100% O2 Deco Bottle Tank Valve.
  • Assuming a slow flow rate, is it safe to use a DIN pressure gauge to check tank pressure? Seems this could introduce contamination if the same gauge is used on other tanks. Dedicated gauge for O2 tank? Or perhaps just check pressure via SPG once reg is attached?
  • Similar to above, safe to use standard O2 analyzer that's been used on other (e.g. nitrox premix) tanks? Since it's not being screwed in, there's less opportunity to contaminate the tank valve. On the other hand, an analyzer used with Nitrox is sitting around and exposed to dust and the like.
  • Probably makes sense to cap the valve when not in use to prevent contamination. Maybe a stupid question, but I'd assume DIN valve screw-in caps wouldn't contain any material that's a no-no for O2? These valve caps (inserts) have also been sitting around in a non-pristine environment, so does using them present a contamination risk to the valve?
(2) O2 Regulator
  • Aside from meticulously following the usual practices [rinsing/keeping inlet covered/etc], are there any post-dive best practices beyond caring for a standard regulator? I assume bagging the reg after it's dry?
  • Assuming you'll inevitably get a splash/drip of salt water on the DIN connector/threads and/or the O2 tank valve, is it safe to wipe off with fresh water and wipe with lint free cloth? Or is that introducing additional contamination?
  • Seems to be conflicting opinions (shocker, I know) on how "O2 clean" the LP side of the regulator needs to be. LP hose exposed to environment (not capped) but also brand new (O2-safe materials) and not used ... need O2 cleaning before use? SPG (HP) exposed to the environment (not capped) but also new (O2-safe materials) and not used ... connector need any kind of cleaning?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can share their take on all of this. I greatly appreciate your time and insights!

Any reg used for deco gas above 40% needs to be cleaned for O2. That's it for that reg if it ever goes on a non O2 clean tank it needs to be reO2 cleaned before use again.

Your O2 analyzer is never exposed to high pressure oxygen so keep it clean but nothing special.

The low pressure side if your regs (second stage and hose) isn't high enough pressure to worry about O2 cleaning however they should be maintained as O2 clean where possible.

Do yourself a favor and go through your dive spare parts kit and get rid of any non O2 compatible parts if all you carry is viton orings and O2 compatible lube you will never grab the wrong stuff.

When I work on a reg I follow all O2 clean steps and practices it keeps all of my tools clean my practice standard and gives me that feeling that I am doing the best I can do during a service.

As to din caps get either the vented plastic caps or if you want to use a sealing cap get one with a pushbutton gas release incase the valve gets opened accidentally.

As to the pressure gauge there is no easy to o2 clean a spg without damage so I use the one from my blending whip or the deco reg.

As you will learn there are going to be lots of expensive things involved in tec diving dedicated deco equipment is one of those.

Keep in mind doing things correctly is important because the strange practices and rituals were written in blood. You seem like you are doing your research which is good you will run into people on both sides of the safe practices line it is up to you to decide where you will fall on that scale depending on your tolerance for risk.

Good Afternoon All,

First post on ScubaBoard ... yay! I'm in the process of tec training, and have a handful of questions regarding Best Practices for O2 Reg & Deco Bottle care. Of course, this is something I'll learn more about in my courses and will discuss with my instructor, but I've also been doing a bunch of research to understand this nebulous topic as best I can (including reading many ScubaBoard threads) -- just curious to get the opinions of you experienced folks on this board as data points. Especially interested in the opinions of any trained O2 equipment service techs.

Please forgive my super detailed questions, but I've gotten paranoid reading all about O2 and I'm also an engineer, so I can't help it :)

(1) 100% O2 Deco Bottle Tank Valve.
  • Assuming a slow flow rate, is it safe to use a DIN pressure gauge to check tank pressure? Seems this could introduce contamination if the same gauge is used on other tanks. Dedicated gauge for O2 tank? Or perhaps just check pressure via SPG once reg is attached?
  • Similar to above, safe to use standard O2 analyzer that's been used on other (e.g. nitrox premix) tanks? Since it's not being screwed in, there's less opportunity to contaminate the tank valve. On the other hand, an analyzer used with Nitrox is sitting around and exposed to dust and the like.
  • Probably makes sense to cap the valve when not in use to prevent contamination. Maybe a stupid question, but I'd assume DIN valve screw-in caps wouldn't contain any material that's a no-no for O2? These valve caps (inserts) have also been sitting around in a non-pristine environment, so does using them present a contamination risk to the valve?
(2) O2 Regulator
  • Aside from meticulously following the usual practices [rinsing/keeping inlet covered/etc], are there any post-dive best practices beyond caring for a standard regulator? I assume bagging the reg after it's dry?
  • Assuming you'll inevitably get a splash/drip of salt water on the DIN connector/threads and/or the O2 tank valve, is it safe to wipe off with fresh water and wipe with lint free cloth? Or is that introducing additional contamination?
  • Seems to be conflicting opinions (shocker, I know) on how "O2 clean" the LP side of the regulator needs to be. LP hose exposed to environment (not capped) but also brand new (O2-safe materials) and not used ... need O2 cleaning before use? SPG (HP) exposed to the environment (not capped) but also new (O2-safe materials) and not used ... connector need any kind of cleaning?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can share their take on all of this. I greatly appreciate your time and insights!
Dear kurosuji
When it comes down to oxygen and pure oxygen use, maybe our special section of o-rings will be useful to visit .VITON® Green Scuba O-Rings for pure Oxygen applications as well as service kits for pure oxygen section You searched for viton kit - Premium O-rings Provider for Scuba Diving
Welcome abord

You are overthinking this. The DIN valve isn't going to be contaminated by water, or the pressure checker. It's going to be contaminated by oil or grease. Segregate your oils and greasy stuff in your garage from your scuba stuff.

And don't use sealed DIN plugs for your O2 bottle. They're fine on your 32% and He containing bottles.

And don't use sealed DIN plugs for your O2 bottle. They're fine on your 32% and He containing bottles.
HUh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom