A&D 2.0 Resto Bar Grill.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had posted a while back that Tony Vilardi who operated Crab Shack/Island Gourmet many years ago had come back to island and opened Upstairs Resto Bar and Grill Arriba in the old Sonora Grill location. Not surprisingly, opening a new restaurant one month before Covid arrived in Cozumel was a little tough and they had to close on that location.

Thankfully , Tony has joined forces with A&D Modern Pub to form A&D 2.0 Resto Bar Grill. They are at the A&D location on 10th between 2 and 4. We ate there today. The food was awesome—which is no surprise to anyone that has ever had Tony’s food before. I strongly recommend the blackened Cajun shrimp (first picture below is of a double order ). Coconut shrimp is also a strong contender (second picture )

upload_2020-8-28_20-46-23.jpeg

upload_2020-8-28_20-46-55.jpeg

I don't know what I would chose between coconut shrimp or blackened any kind of seafood. Now I have another place to seek out on my next trip. I know much of the fish you eat on the island is sourced locally, where does the shrimp come from? Sams?

I don't know what I would chose between coconut shrimp or blackened any kind of seafood. Now I have another place to seek out on my next trip. I know much of the fish you eat on the island is sourced locally, where does the shrimp come from? Sams?

Fair point that these crystal clear waters are not known for shrimp--Cozumel restaurants probably not my first choice for a shrimp cocktail. I am from the TX Gulf Coast where people used to bring shrimp straight from the boats to our house 30 minutes away.

A&D 2.0 cooked shrimp dishes are definitely really good, but I am sure it has more to do with Tony's recipe/preparation than his source of shrimp. I have no idea where they come from, but to your point almost certainly not Cozumel :)

So far one of my best meals in Coz is the sexy shrimp at Casa Denis. Bacon wrapped shrimp that is stuffed with cheese. I look forward to something that tops that. I once ordered fried shrimp in a restaurant in Ojinaga, MX, about as far from from the water as you can get in Mexico. It was very good.

Shrimp freezes well, so it is often a good choice if you need seafood in a place where everything is frozen and you are not sure they know how to cook seafood. When in a place with fresh seafood available and good cooks, I like to indulge in the fresh seafood. I am from the Chesapeake Bay area, so I am spoiled with fresh seafood and good cooks. (including most of my family.) In Coz, I agree that shrimp can be a good choice - food is great there, and they definitely know how to cook seafood.

Fair point that these crystal clear waters are not known for shrimp--Cozumel restaurants probably not my first choice for a shrimp cocktail. I am from the TX Gulf Coast where people used to bring shrimp straight from the boats to our house 30 minutes away.

A&D 2.0 cooked shrimp dishes are definitely really good, but I am sure it has more to do with Tony's recipe/preparation than his source of shrimp. I have no idea where they come from, but to your point almost certainly not Cozumel :)
There's a fair chance that the shrimp you are eating on Cozumel came in on the same plane you did. :D

There's a fair chance that the shrimp you are eating on Cozumel came in on the same plane you did. :D

More likely came on the Trans Caribe cargo ferry from Sysco Foods MX.

More likely came on the Trans Caribe cargo ferry from Sysco Foods MX.

Is there any chance that anything, other than lion fish, came from Cozumel???

Is there any chance that anything, other than lion fish, came from Cozumel???

Yes. All the illegal Conch served in the Cantinas are locally poached.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom