Boat ladders and upper body v leg strength

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't have a clue on how to climb a ladder like that one. I could understand in the rungs went higher, and you could step off to the side, but not like how this one in configured.

It appears they do have smaller boats with the typical over the side ladders.

Boat Ladder.jpg

The last time I used one of those christmas tree ladders was in the Red Sea. All went well until I got up high enough on the ladder where I needed to hold on to something to pull myself up the last couple of steps. As I looked up, there was one vertical post on the deck for that purpose, the only problem being the post was to the right of my right shoulder. After my WTF comment, a crew member finally came over and grabbed my left arm, helping to pull me up onto the deck. That was the second stupidest boat entry method I had ever encountered.

Diving in my 7ml with 18 lbs makes it hard for this 60yr old to climb ladders. I'm not in the best shape but I swim and walk at least 3 x week. I always pull my weights and hand them up once I'm on the platform. I NEED my arms to pull up for those last 2 steps. I think I would have been stuck till someone helped me.

It seems to me the last time I encountered this type of ladder we were expected to climb level with the platform and then swing our butts around at which point the tank would be setting on the platform. Release the BC and one of the guys would pick up the tank and carry it to your spot. Really pretty easy and efficient when you got used to it.
I would hesitate to pick my dive operator solely on what extraction method they employ. And, as I said, most crew members are happy to pull your tank directly from the water if that's what you prefer.

My private boat (at left) has a ladder like this. It is very easy to climb and I recommend that people leave fins on. If you click on the photo and then again, you will see the ladder. The angle that it is at in the photo is roughly the angle it is in the water. you will see that there are two railings from the top of the ladder right back into the boat. We dive in some quite rough seas at times and even my 82 year old friend could get up with all his gear on till about two years ago. All the females who come out with me also have no problems, some are quite petite too.

The thing that makes all ladders bad is the angle. Too steep and it is impossible to climb, no matter who you are.

Hi Folks!

We were diving with Dive Paradise out of Hotel Cozumel 8/11-8/17/20 and I really struggled with the dive ladders on their boats. I thought this was a good opportunity to discuss dive fitness as it relates to getting on and off the boat in addition to all the rest of dive fitness.

I'm 60 and in pretty good shape. I could afford to lose the COVID20 I've gained over the past 6 months, but I take a 2 mile brisk walk with my dive buddy (husband) and dogs every day (these dogs stop to do their business and drag us the rest of the time, so it's truly a brisk 2 miles). I don't exercise otherwise and have a sedentary job. I know I need to add weight bearing exercise and probably more cardio.

In June we went to Key Largo and spent a week diving with Rainbow Reef. I easily climbed the ladder to get back on the boat with my BC and weights on (I only dive with 8-10 pounds of lead). The ladders on the RR boats have hand rails so I can use upper body strength to pull myself up onto the boat - no problem. However, the boats at Dive Paradise did NOT have handrails - the ladder looked like a pole with crossbars. My husband found it difficult to get back on the boat and described it as 'having to crawl back on', and even with my BC off I found it difficult to ascend the ladder. If it had been rough seas I would have had to sit the dives out. Nobody else complained. This told me one of two things. Either everyone was like me and didn't want to admit they're aging and/or in bad shape, or they didn't have any problems. Some folks were younger (probably no problem) and some were older and heavier (just not saying anything). And it also told me I need to work on leg strength - do squats and lunges, leg presses.

Anyway ... just wanted to put it out there that some boats will not have hand rails so you won't always be able to count on upper body strength to help you. We've been diving for 10 years - over 300 dives - and this had never been a problem. I don't know if I'd never run into these kinds of ladders or it's been long enough that I was in better shape when I did!!

Kettle bells ... leg presses ... squats and lunges ... here I go ... :wink:
These ladders used to be commonplace in the U.K. but once people started diving twins or rebreather boat operators with lifts appeared on the scene. Within a few years nearly every charter had a lift or they wouldn’t get bookings.

These ladders used to be commonplace in the U.K. but once people started diving twins or rebreather boat operators with lifts appeared on the scene. Within a few years nearly every charter had a lift or they wouldn’t get bookings.

Was about to post that about UK boats (where virtually every boat has a lift with handrails on either one or both sides). Never had any issues boarding at home. I only wonder why other countries haven't adopted them. Even with a relatively slow motor, they are normally about as quick as climbing the ladders esp as there is usually one or two in a group that have issues with ladders (not a dig - just a fact). The cycle time is normally around 1-2 minutes depending on operator and diver (I know I have taken that long to do a ladder in even fairly flat seas).

A google image search for UK dive boat lifts gives you these ( link )if you want to see what we are talking about.

The Xmas tree ladders are great fun esp if the seas are rolling a bit. I was on one when a bigger wave hit and ended up on my back in the water with my leg poking through between the rungs.

My first experience with this "Christmas tree" ladder was my last dive trip to the Bahamas before the shut-down on the Aqua Cat live-aboard. It had been drilled into my training that you ALWAYS take your fins off before getting back on the boat, so I found this concept odd, but I did what I was told and walked up the Christmas tree with my fins on every dive. It was weird and I didn't like it, but I had no problems.

Huh. We took a trip on the Aqua Cat in December of last year, and everyone took their fins off in the water and handed them up before climbing the ladder.

I was a bit concerned that someone on SB might say "you need to get your a** to the gym and GET IN SHAPE! This is a YOU problem, not a ladder problem." ... so I was hedging my bets. :wink:

That does seem to be a recurring streak in our virtual culture.

I think your general fitness plan will be appropriate. Since you mentioned kettlebells, you’re obviously oriented to the enormous value the kettlebell swing offers divers.

Another exercise with kettlebells you might consider is the single-sided farmer’s carry (only one kettlebell) and marching in place rather than walking. I’d start with a moderate weight you’re already comfortable with and marching at a deliberate pace for one minute in duration. Rest 15-30 seconds and switch sides.

Your arm with the kettlebell just hangs in place (but it works!) while your arm without the kettlebell swings in its normal range of motion but exaggerated like a sprinter.

With each time a thigh comes up, raise it to where your thigh is horizontal to the ground.

This exercise will work your external obliques and lower latissimus dorsi muscles.

For an advanced version, pause your march with your leg up (the leg opposite the arm with the kettlebell) and hold that position for 10 seconds during that one minute interval. You will transfer the workload to your lower leg which will strengthen muscles used for stability on a ladder with a weight borne by your upper body

As you get comfortable with the exercise, increase the weight of the kettlebell. If you feel the burn in your lower outside back opposite the side of the kettlebell, you’re doing it right. Your hands and shoulders will get a good workout, too.

Huh. We took a trip on the Aqua Cat in December of last year, and everyone took their fins off in the water and handed them up before climbing the ladder.
Perhaps it's up to the crew to decide how they will use the ladder for each LOB cruise based on predicted water conditions for the week. I did find that it took longer to get on the boat because of the method of swinging your leg outwards in a U-shape to advance onto the next tree step versus climbing the ladder the normal way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom