DIR- GUE power inflator failure T1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talk about it in class (dry land) and demonstrate it on myself in shallow water, e.g., show what a full wing of air will do and also how to unhook and re -attache an inflator hose. At no point do I hammer an inflator button on any of my students at any time. However, I do have them unhook and re-attache the hose many times at depth while they are neutrally buoyant as a skill familiarization.

I hope that clears up the rec portion of the discussion.
That's my point. The discussion is about instructors mashing on the inflator buttons of students.

Talking about it/demonstrating it is very different that doing it to students.

So what the OP is discussing is never performed in any recreational courses.

That's my point. The discussion is about instructors mashing on the inflator buttons of students.

Talking about it/demonstrating it is very different that doing it to students.

So what the OP is discussing is never performed in any recreational courses.

Yeah, that's fair. I guess I kinda went in left field lol

Of course, you could always teach a student how to properly care for a power inflator and remove that risk altogether....... :)

Of course, you could always teach a student how to properly care for a power inflator and remove that risk altogether....... :)
Given that a large percentage of divers are vacation divers who rent their gear on location and that gear's maintenance varies dramatically, that risk is never removed.

And even properly maintained gear fails unpredictably. Fortunately, exceedingly rarely, but it does fail.

Hence the training.

Given that a large percentage of divers are vacation divers who rent their gear on location and that gear's maintenance varies dramatically, that risk is never removed.

And even properly maintained gear fails unpredictably. Fortunately, exceedingly rarely, but it does fail.

Hence the training.

This was a tech 1 question, not a basic scuba question on what happens when I'm on Molasses Reef in Key Largo in 12' of water.

If there are divers doing tech 1 dives with questionable rental wings, then that is are Rule #1 issue, and that kind of stupidity cant be fixed with training.

This was a tech 1 question, not a basic scuba question on what happens when I'm on Molasses Reef in Key Largo in 12' of water.

If there are divers doing tech 1 dives with questionable rental wings, then that is are Rule #1 issue, and that kind of stupidity cant be fixed with training.
Good point on rec vs. tec. However, properly maintained equipment can fail. Hence the importance of training.

You don't eliminate this failure all together from proper maintenance, you just make it smaller.

We could also teach students to monitor their gas properly so they don't run out and then we don't need to teach air sharing either. :)

BTW, in all seriousness I had a wing that once came with a stainless steel inflator that had an imperfection causing a leak. No amount of maintenance that I could have done would have prevented the manufacturers recall.

+1.

...wing that once came with a stainless steel inflator that had an imperfection causing a leak. No amount of maintenance that I could have done would have prevented the manufacturers recall.

If it is the one I am thinking of, the funny story, at DEMA I went into that company's booth, they were showing that inflator and all excited about how great it was, I looked at it, told them it was exactly like the Water Gill At-Pac SS inflator.....and that the design sucked. I told them good luck with that one. True story.

But the reality is, (excluding ice issues) a properly maintained "standard" inflator wont fail.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom