Question about DIN converters......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is probably a stupid question, that I should've already known, but......
Are regs that come from the factory as being DIN, able to have the DIN unit removed, and be fully converted to a yoke reg? I'm not talking about the common DIN-to-yoke adapter, the yoke that threads onto the DIN threads so the DIN reg can attach to a yoke-type valve.
I'm basically wondering if any DIN regs are built permanently as DIN, (unless temporarily converted with a threaded yoke adapter), or are the DIN assemblies on factory-original DIN regs, generally able to be removed from the regs?
( In a related question, I'm wondering if any older Sherwood regs were sold from the factory as DIN regs { I've never seen any}, or if they're all yoke?).

Are regs that come from the factory as being DIN, able to have the DIN unit removed, and be fully converted to a yoke reg?

I don't know if the following applies to all brands.
Most newer model Scubapro (MK10 thru 25) have removable yoke & DIN fittings that are exchangeable. They all accept the SP universal DIN fitting. The newer MK2 models can also use the universal fitting. Unfortunately, the MK5 has a unique set of yoke and DIN set of fittings that can be swapped out.

I'm wondering if any older Sherwood regs were sold from the factory as DIN regs
I don't know if any came from the factory as DIN. However, @AFdivedoc uses Sherwood DIN fittings on older model Scubapro MK2 regulators.

Are regs that come from the factory as being DIN, able to have the DIN unit removed, and be fully converted to a yoke reg?

Technically yes but sometimes it is difficult to source the Yoke/INT/A clamp to change the DIN back to Yoke (without using the DIN to Yoke adapter). If you remove the DIN fitting, you can install the respective Yoke fitting with the appropriate wrench no issues.

Don't know about the other brands and models, but my Zeagle Envoy can easily be converted from DIN to Yoke and back in less than five minutes, and that includes looking for the appropriate open end wrench.

just need to do some work to source the parts as not all brands sell a yoke conversion kit. and in some cases, you may need a low profile yoke nut to get the yoke on.

Are regs that come from the factory as being DIN, able to have the DIN unit removed

I'm sure in the US market some regs are Yoke only and they never made a DIN

If EU market, most likely. Easiest way to tell is if manufacturer offered both options for sale, then the 1st stage would "easily" be
convertible

I'm sure in the US market some regs are Yoke only and they never made a DIN

I know that one old Sherwood reg had the yoke cast as part of the first stage body (4000# service) so there was no conversion, I don't know if there were others built that way by any manufacturer.

When marketed in the US, the Poseidon Cyklon was DIN only, but sold with a yoke adapter.

So to answer the question, varies depending on manufacturer and model.

Now if you have a specific reg you want to know about I am sure there is plenty of knowledge on this board to answer specific questions.

I know that one old Sherwood reg had the yoke cast as part of the first stage body (4000# service) so there was no conversion, I don't know if there were others built that way by any manufacturer.
Yes. For example the Scubapro MK7 "honker"...

So to answer the question, varies depending on manufacturer and model.

Now if you have a specific reg you want to know about I am sure there is plenty of knowledge on this board to answer specific questions.

Yes, I'm wondering about the Sherwood Maximus (srb5600), one of the relatively newer versions (that's as close as i can get), that have the newer matte grey finish on the 1st stage, rather than the older shiny silver look. I'm considering a couple of these that currently have DIN compatibility, so I'm wondering if it's possible the DIN fittings are factory-original and permanent (but able to be altered with the common screw-on yoke adapter), or if these DIN units might be removable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom