Have you ever used scuba equipment you absolutely hated!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first set of fins, bought when I was a brand new diver, were Cressi Frogs. As I got more experienced, I decided that I needed newer, sexier fins worthy of my increased skill. I won't mention what I got because it will stir trouble, but as my skill grew even more, I became less enchanted with those new wonders. I went to the bottom of a storage closet and got out those Cressi Frogs again. Hmm. I found a whole lot to like in their simplicity that I had no liked when I did not know what I was doing. I don't have them any more, but I would not hesitate to take them diving today.

Mine were Dacor POS fins. They have always given me blisters on my toe knuckles through my booties if I do any finning. They are similar to this pair:

Dacor Integra Swim Snorkeling Fins Adjustable Open Heel Blue / Gray | eBay

So this one will take some explanation, because I will talk about the dreaded split fins.

As an instructor teaching pool classes, I used the same rental gear we had the students use. One day on impulse I put on a pair of ScubaPro split fins--don't know the model name, but they were soft--downright floppy, IMO. When I tried to cover distance going forward, I felt like I only had booties on because I could not feel the movement of the fins at all. Yet, I was indeed moving forward, albeit not at a pace I liked. I back fin a lot when working with students, and I absolutely could not do that with those fins. I switched out to the usual blade fins before long.

A few years later I did a refresher class with a father and his teenage son, and this was done in a recreation center pool with no easy access to rental equipment. The father and son had all their own gear, and I had mine. They each produced a pair of Atomic Split fins, but I saw immediately that there was a mistake. The boy was a below average size for an adult, but he had a pair of size Extra Huge fins. He insisted they were his, but we eventually decided that he must have accidentally swapped with someone else after his last dive, because putting his feet in those fins was like walking into a room. I gave him my pair of Cressi Frogs mentioned above, which were still too big for him, and I wore his Atomic splits, even though they were so big on me that the spring strap barely touched my heel. The fins did, predictably, come off on occasion, but I had surprising success otherwise. I could even backfin shockingly well, although I could not use my normal technique because of their lack of a wide sidewall. The difference was that the Atomics were much, much stiffer than the ones I tried before.

In summary, I decided that drawing judgment on split fins, you can't be too generic. Perhaps the weak, floppy split fins I used the first time would be just fine for a weak-legged individual who is only going to go in a forward direction with a flutter kick, meaning most people would hate them. On the other hand, the big, stiff split fins would work well for most others, although I would still prefer plain blade fins with wide sidewalls for the kind of diving I do.

SiTech p-valve. Damn thing leaked, even when I wasn't leaking. Piece of garbage. Got tired of washing my undergarment. Go with Halcyon or Light Monkey.

1. Anything Mares

2. Anything Cressi

3. Any wetsuit thicker than 2mm

4. Soft sole boots

5. Al Tanks

6. Gauge console or any gauge attached to a hose

7. Weightbelts

8. Spit

9. Clear skirt masks

10. Masks with side windows

11. Wetsuits with fabric ankle and wrist seals (instead of rubber)

12. Standard BC cam bands

13. All annoying people that like what I don't like in general

14. Flashing tank lights

15. Anything in pink

16. Any cheap imitation of something good.

17. Viking drysuit

The Antares dry glove system. I had very little success with these. If they didn’t leak they would fall apart when trying to doff the gloves.
I had forgotten about them. The tabs broke, and when they didn't, the gloves popped off as soon as I jumped into the water.

Pistol grip handheld light... pick any brand.... thank goodness technology has changed lights...

also,

Any mask that just didn't fit right (painful under nose, or leaks)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom