Should I get PADI Dive Master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the equipment exchange with buddy breathing during my DM class. It went well, but I did have a very good partner. Some were not as lucky. I can understand them saying it was difficult.

Free air dose not cut the costs but DM's doing DSD, ReActivate and leading dives here do get paid, discounts and free air. Instructors usually tip their assistants.

I did the equipment exchange with buddy breathing during my DM class. It went well, but I did have a very good partner. Some were not as lucky. I can understand them saying it was difficult.

Free air dose not cut the costs but DM's doing DSD, ReActivate and leading dives here do get paid, discounts and free air. Instructors usually tip their assistants.
Funny how things vary. We too got paid for DSD, ReActivate (wasn't called that then-- Scuba Review I believe) and charters, but the pay for any of those things wouldn't have covered my gas, being 50 miles from the shop. OTOH, we got $300 CAD to assist for an OW course (THINK it was C$150 for AOW--I never did those). No tips from instructors and basically none from students (I got one beer once).

Instructors usually tip their assistants.

we got $300 CAD to assist for an OW course (THINK it was C$150 for AOW). .

Canadians know how to treat people. Maybe this happens sometimes in the States, but I haven't seen it.

If you complete divemaster training, and you have assets to lose, get the insurance, If someone is injured or killed in a diving accident, say, on a day boat, the first thing their family's lawyer is going to do is get a list of everyone on the boat and their certification levels. Then he's going to notice you've been trained to lead, supervise, and teach other divers, which means you've been taught how to spot behaviors that telegraph an accident waiting to happen and intervene. You're going to be named as a defendant, so get the insurance at least until it's been 5 years since you were certified or last used the rating professionally. PADI has annual updates for a reason, so after that amount of inactive time, you're less likely to be considered capable of having prevented the incident.

I carried the insurance for 5 years after I quit PADI.

I have access to Nexus-Uni law database for a class I am taking. I have searched for case law on the term "Divemaster"...I could not find any relevant cases. Not saying that lawsuits haven't happened but I can't seem to find any documentation relevant to divemasters chilling on a dive boat getting sued for liability.

-Z

I have access to Nexus-Uni law database for a class I am taking. I have searched for case law on the term "Divemaster"...I could not find any relevant cases. Not saying that lawsuits haven't happened but I can't seem to find any documentation relevant to divemasters chilling on a dive boat getting sued for liability.

-Z
Probably too much to ask as time is valuable, but have you found any lawsuits outside of guiding? Anything other than teaching and/or try scuba?

Probably too much to ask as time is valuable, but have you found any lawsuits outside of guiding? Anything other than teaching and/or try scuba?

I am not sure what you are asking. I would be happy to do a search on any term you are interested in.

If you complete divemaster training, and you have assets to lose, get the insurance, If someone is injured or killed in a diving accident, say, on a day boat, the first thing their family's lawyer is going to do is get a list of everyone on the boat and their certification levels. Then he's going to notice you've been trained to lead, supervise, and teach other divers, which means you've been taught how to spot behaviors that telegraph an accident waiting to happen and intervene. You're going to be named as a defendant, so get the insurance at least until it's been 5 years since you were certified or last used the rating professionally. PADI has annual updates for a reason, so after that amount of inactive time, you're less likely to be considered capable of having prevented the incident.

I carried the insurance for 5 years after I quit PADI.

I agree with the notion that if you have the cert to get the insurance. But...

...A search on the term "Divemaster", in the Nexus Uni law database, brought up 60 cases. I have read enough of each case to determine that none of them include any action that included a bystander or client of a dive op who is/was certified as a DM (or instructor, or assistant instructor).

One would think that if this happened that there would be a case on record, particularly an appellate case where the bystander/client who holds the pro level certification appeals the decision of the lower court.

I believe the concern that seems to be repeated on SB, and elsewhere, that a DM diving with dive op as a client could be pulled into a lawsuit for simply being present is possible but EXTREMELY unlikely. I think, without evidence to the contrary, that the notion is based on speculation and hyperbole. The cause of action would most likely be one of negligence, and unless the client with a pro-level certification injected themself into the scene as a pro, there would be no "duty of care" for them to "breach". Simply being present in this capacity does not create a duty of care.

I don't think it would take much for a pro-level diver to cross the line though. For instance, giving advice to other divers in the group, or taking any control of a diver or their equipment even in the slightest capacity could possibly be considered enough, but merely being present with a pro-level cert is not enough, in my opinion, for them to be liable for anything that happens to other divers outside their specific buddy pair/group....and their duty to their dive buddy if they are not diving with them in a pro-client capacity is debatable as well.

If there is an actual case that concerns this type of scenario, please let me know, I would like to read it.

-Z

If the DM / diver is just a client diving with the op.. I don’t see why he would be responsible other than to his buddy.. the dive op staff on the other hand I understand..

I've been diving since 1986. As I don't want to own a dive center or work in the industry I have never done the DM's course.

I've done BSAC Sports diving which are deco planned dives and PADI courses to rescue. I will probably do the SDI solo cert course not that I want to dive solo just to learn from the course. Doing a DM course even if you don't want to work as a DM is still useful I have many dive partners that are DM certified that do not work in the diving industry.

I try to get in around 150 - 200 dives a year when possible and the experience from diving in lots of difference conditions on day and night dives is certainly valuable.

Canadians know how to treat people. Maybe this happens sometimes in the States, but I haven't seen it.
I can only speak for the shop I worked for in Dartmouth/Halifax. It is only one of two for a very long way, so I have no idea what % of Canadian LDS' pay their DMs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom