Carry-on luggage that fins fit in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnTheMark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone have any recommendations for luggage (or alternates) that meet the carry-on size limitations yet fins fit in? Or any tips for fitting fins in carry-on?

Since I know someone will ask, TUSA SF-22 Solla open heel fins

Carry on luggage is limited in size, usually to 22 inches long, and can be very strict depending on airline and location. You'd be better off asking for fins that fit in carry on luggage than carry on luggage that fits fins.

Does anyone have any recommendations for luggage (or alternates) that meet the carry-on size limitations yet fins fit in? Or any tips for fitting fins in carry-on?
kmarks:
Carry on luggage is limited in size, usually to 22 inches long, and can be very strict depending on airline and location
As kmarks mentioned, the length limit for carry-on bags is 22" in most cases. If you go to the American Airlines website, as one example, it is stated that carry-on bag dimensions are limited to 22" x 14" x 9".

The TUSA website indicates that the L-XL size Sollas are 24.7" long x 8.9" wide - the XS size is 21.9 x 8.5". So, the fins WITHOUT a bag around them are technically right at the size limits, in terms of length and width. If a flight is not full, chances are good you will not be asked to put them in the 'sizer' at the gate. But, if it is full, or the gate attendants are in a particularly picky frame of mind (not uncommon theses days), the fins may be considered to exceed the size limits. One option - I have used this - is to simply wrap so duct tape around the fins in a couple of places to keep them securely together, and carry-them on and put them - un-bagged - in the overhead compartment. If you add a piece of cord, held in place under the duct tape, you have a convenient shoulder strap. It is funny - fins without any bag around them actually look like they are pretty small.

I usually put my fins (and wetsuits, masks, regulators and wings), in a (soft) canvas duffel bag, and check it. Never had any issue with any damage.

In terms of fins that fit the airline carry on limit, here are the lengths and weights of some that do to some that likely do not. (as of Feb 2020)

- Force Fin Hockey -- XL 18 x 8.5", 4.6 lb., slight negative Underwater Hockey Force Fin – Force Fin
- Hollis F2 -- XL 19.7", 1.7 lb.
- Aeris Accel - XL 21", < 3 lb. Accel
- SP Jets -- 21.8", 5.25 lb. v. negative https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/fins/fins/jet-fin-w-spring-heel-strap
- SP Go Travel -- XL 22", 2.6 lb, Scubapro Go Travel Fin
- Deep6 Eddy -- XL 22", 2.5 lb. Deep 6 Eddy Flippers
- APEKS RK3 -- XL 22.5 x 9.5", 2.75 lb, neutral
- Mares Quattro Excel Plus - XL 25", 6.2 lb. Mares Excel Plus, Open Heel Fins
- Dive Rite XT - XL 26 x 9", 6.3 lb. XT Fins with Stainless Buckles | Dive Rite

With just blade length specs:
- Mares Avanti Quattro - R 15" blade, 2 lb. neutral Avanti Quattro +

Fin Recommendation

In terms of fins that fit the airline carry on limit, here are the lengths and weights of some that do to some that likely do not. (as of Feb 2020)

- Force Fin Hockey -- XL 18 x 8.5", 4.6 lb., slight negative Underwater Hockey Force Fin – Force Fin
- Hollis F2 -- XL 19.7", 1.7 lb.
- Aeris Accel - XL 21", < 3 lb. Accel
- SP Jets -- 21.8", 5.25 lb. v. negative https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/fins/fins/jet-fin-w-spring-heel-strap
- SP Go Travel -- XL 22", 2.6 lb, Scubapro Go Travel Fin
- Deep6 Eddy -- XL 22", 2.5 lb. Deep 6 Eddy Flippers
- APEKS RK3 -- XL 22.5 x 9.5", 2.75 lb, neutral
- Mares Quattro Excel Plus - XL 25", 6.2 lb. Mares Excel Plus, Open Heel Fins
- Dive Rite XT - XL 26 x 9", 6.3 lb. XT Fins with Stainless Buckles | Dive Rite

With just blade length specs:
- Mares Avanti Quattro - R 15" blade, 2 lb. neutral Avanti Quattro +

Fin Recommendation
Also useful would be to list the weights in water.

Also useful would be to list the weights in water.
I agree buoyancy stats would be good. I do not have that data beyond the general reports I've seen here and a rough notion on my own ones. But for inside carry on luggage, the set of fins is rather small.

If people have stats and links, I'm happy to add them.

The ones I use at home and on travel are the Hockey fins, which are just 18" long.

I squeezed a pair of Jetfins, a BPW and a full set of warm-water gear into one of these (the largest carry on I could find):

departure_f.png

All the gear warranted a hand search of course. On the return flight, the bag was flagged for being overweight (I didn't know there was a weight limit on carry ons) but the hold was closed so they let it slide.

Carry on luggage is limited in size, usually to 22 inches long, and can be very strict depending on airline and location. You'd be better off asking for fins that fit in carry on luggage than carry on luggage that fits fins.

+1...Also, if you are traveling internationally, it is 19 inches and most foreign carriers impose a 7kg limit for all carry-on combined, not each bag so fins would eat into that limit. They usually weigh at check-in and sometimes at the gate before boarding. I have gotten past that limit with camera gear (16kg for just my camera bag and 7kg for my backpack) but depending on where you travel, it is also something to keep in mind.

Back
Top Bottom