BP/W or BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recall something about shoulder strap moving outward dealing with the threading of the web belt on the lower of the plate. by that I mean form the shoulder to the lower inside to out side to the buckle or shoulder to lower out side to the inside to the buckle io just looked at my rig and it is shoulder to lower inside slot to the lower out side slot then to the buckle. My plate moves up and down a bit. ti will and because of that you have a crotch strap. it does not have to be tight. it can be loose enough to allow room for your fist. Lastly if you are not use to a BP then the wing itself being a back inflate will throw a curve in new BP/w divers comfort level until you get use to it. of which yo do not have to inflate it to max on the surface. new BPWs have a tendency to be pushed face down. deflate it a bit and learn to get on top of the wing while on your back on the surface it will become second nature and quite comfortable. it takes a bit of an arched back to do it. when you roll on your back use the lower d rings to push down roll back and arch and you are now lying on a raft

Thanks for your help everyone. I ended up getting a Hollis elite 2 system, 38 lb wing, stainless steel backplate and a STA. I did one dive on it and am very happy. Now I am looking at weight pockets for the waist strap. I like Hollis 10 lb (each) weight pockets but have also looked at Highland 12 (each). Does anyone have experience with either of these pockets?

The hydros pro seems like it is the latest and greatest fancy swag that lots of people are going for...it seems like a there are many people who, while they find the hydros pro very comfortable, are dissatisfied with its durability.

One of the reasons why folks on SB tend to recommend BP/W over and over again is that they are very durable...there is not much that can go wrong. BP/Ws are the analog of timex watches...."they take a licking but keep on ticking". BP/Ws are often not as fancy or pretty as a jacket BC, but backplates are deceptively comfortable, especially in the water. They are also completely modular and customizable.

-Z

As I mentioned, I have both so I can see the advantages from both sides. I have about 50 dives on each, maybe more on the Hydros now and while there is no argument the DiveRite BP/W is more durable I haven’t had any issues with the Hydros.

I did drop the BP/W and the backplate sliced through the wing and bladder so they are not indestructible haha.

I stand by what I said before. The Hydros operates very similar to the BP/W and for single tank diving that does not involve caves or going into wrecks it’s my preferred option of the two even with the BCD tax.

Not to go down too much of a different rat hole, but it seems like Halcyon, is the only company that has something in between the Hogarthian setup and one that uses plastic quick release tabs, with their cinch system. If I am doing 50 dives or so a year should I really worry about the quick release issue? Is their cinch system subject to the same flaws? I can't help but wonder about the implications of not having the chest clip to hold everything tight together. All I know for sure is there is no way I am going back to a traditional BCD and am considering Hollis and Halcyon

I have single webbing harness, Hollis solo to be specific, I never adjust the webbing. I actually like it a little bit loose, gives me some floating room inside all the inertia of the rig.

I've never had a chest strap, never felt I needed one, it seems like extra clutter in an already busy space. Never missed the cinch buckles from my jacket BCD, the webbing is set and forget. Plenty love the more elaborate harness systems so there is something in it for them, just not for me.

Just FYI... with the steel plate and STA, you won’t need to carry as much weight as with the BCD.

This FAR from DIR

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSNlfTwleTJBkNNemtoDm9M0_mWextM3New3en5XP0oDcZVXyA.jpg

Not to go down too much of a different rat hole, but it seems like Halcyon, is the only company that has something in between the Hogarthian setup and one that uses plastic quick release tabs, with their cinch system. If I am doing 50 dives or so a year should I really worry about the quick release issue? Is their cinch system subject to the same flaws? I can't help but wonder about the implications of not having the chest clip to hold everything tight together. All I know for sure is there is no way I am going back to a traditional BCD and am considering Hollis and Halcyon

Sub Gravity makes a simple stainless steel quick release harness system. Adjustable Harness System - Subgravity

Im not sure if this was answered or not but does the backplate matter? Is there a major difference between the DGX and the dive rite? Or the dive rite and say one from halcyon?

Good discussion above. I have been contemplating XDeep Zen and not easily deciding between Steel or Aluminum. There does not really seem to be a durability issue, correct? The bonus to steel is weight in a nice spot from trim and the benefit of aluminum is it just being a little more handy when traveling. But only 4-5 lbs. Thats the entire choice? Opinions welcome. Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom