Carry-on luggage that fins fit in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the flights I've taken the last 10-20 years I have noticed that almost no one's carry-ons would fit in that metal thinggy they have at the gate. especially those ones you drag on wheels. They're all way too big. I should get extra points for actually having one that WOULD fit. Now we're talking within Canada here, but I suspect the same thing in the U.S.
I guess we all are assuming you aren't taking a checked bag where the fins easily would fit.

If you want to stay within airline regulations a 22" duffle bag will hold the most amount of stuff. But hauling a round a stuffed duffle bag is a pain in the butt. I have the Aeres Accell travel fins but I no longer use them. My fins are usually the only thing keeping me from not having to check a bag but I think it is well worth it. I know this isn't answering the OP question but I think besides your exposure suit, fins can make the biggest impact on a dive.

If you want to stay within airline regulations a 22" duffle bag will hold the most amount of stuff. But hauling a round a stuffed duffle bag is a pain in the butt. I have the Aeres Accell travel fins but I no longer use them. My fins are usually the only thing keeping me from not having to check a bag but I think it is well worth it. I know this isn't answering the OP question but I think besides your exposure suit, fins can make the biggest impact on a dive.

Agree...a stuffed duffel gives most flexibility but when full it's a bit more awkward. The Base Camp duffels from The North Face and the Black Hole Duffels from Patagonia have backpack straps on them so you can carry them on your back which may help.

I use a backpack and strap the fins on the sides. I live in LATAM so there no way in hell I’m putting something of value in my checked bags.

The problem with fins that do not fit within the carry on/checked baggage size or weight limits is the gate agent is completely in charge of what happens to your gear. With a wide open flight and a nice gate agent, you may be able to get a bag on board even though it is grossly over the posted limits. We have all seen that. But, get an agent that has had a bad day, you are not in an early boarding group, or you are deemed to be a jerk, your precious carry on bag and fins could have an equally bad day.

On the flights I've taken the last 10-20 years I have noticed that almost no one's carry-ons would fit in that metal thinggy they have at the gate. especially those ones you drag on wheels. They're all way too big. I should get extra points for actually having one that WOULD fit. Now we're talking within Canada here, but I suspect the same thing in the U.S.
I guess we all are assuming you aren't taking a checked bag where the fins easily would fit.
This is what I notice too. Nobodies carry on fits the template. I have carried on a backpack for years. I'm not sure it would fit in two of the metal thingys and lots of people have bigger bags than I do.

The problem with fins that do not fit within the carry on/checked baggage size or weight limits is the gate agent is completely in charge of what happens to your gear. With a wide open flight and a nice gate agent, you may be able to get a bag on board even though it is grossly over the posted limits. We have all seen that. But, get an agent that has had a bad day, you are not in an early boarding group, or you are deemed to be a jerk, your precious carry on bag and fins could have an equally bad day.
Ain't it the truth. Couple of years ago the airline lady was constantly telling those who weren't in the ZONE that's been called to sit down and get out of the way--no one WAS in the way of those boarding-- we just wanted to be near the front of the line for when our ZONE was called--so we MIGHT actually have a chance of getting our carry-ons above where we sat--due to the racks always being packed due to the charges for checked bags. One old lady next to me in the crowd yelled "Can we stand now? Is the Queen Bee finished yet"?! Let's go back to 1990 and fly.

I only see three reasons to put something in a carry-on: (1) I MUST HAVE it upon arrival, (2) It is TOO FRAGILE for the possible treatment of checked baggage, and (3) it is TOO VALUABLE to put in someone else's care for fear of theft.
I don't see that fins are in any of the three categories. #3 is often mitigatable with extra declarations and possible payments.
I don't consider avoidance of checked-bag fees a good reason....there are other ways to avoid those fees (certain credit cards, for example).

I only see three reasons to put something in a carry-on: (1) I MUST HAVE it upon arrival, (2) It is TOO FRAGILE for the possible treatment of checked baggage, and (3) it is TOO VALUABLE to put in someone else's care for fear of theft.
I don't see that fins are in any of the three categories. #3 is often mitigatable with extra declarations and possible payments.
I don't consider avoidance of checked-bag fees a good reason....there are other ways to avoid those fees (certain credit cards, for example).
Time would be a consideration for me. Usually coming back from an international trip it takes a while to get checked bags. On a short dive trip fins are the only thing keeping me from carry-on only.

I was coming back from a dive trip and there was a guy I had met diving. He had two huge carry-on's. I asked him how he gets away with that and he said if they say anything he just points ahead and tells the gate agent one of the bags is his wife's.

Time would be a consideration for me. Usually coming back from an international trip it takes a while to get checked bags. On a short dive trip fins are the only thing keeping me from carry-on only.
Agreed, if the issue were carry-on ONLY. I'e never come close on a dive trip to being able to be carry-on only....in terms of weight or volume.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom