Fiji 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went to Fiji several years ago and did the Nai'a LOB. Although the trip was less than ideal, the boat was amazing, and I highly recommend it. Its dock was very convenient to the Nadi airport. If I was planning a return trip to Fiji, I would seriously look at doing it (again) on the Nai'a.

Oh, by the way, connections were incredibly easy. Toronto - LAX - Nadi. I would imagine that you have non-stops from CYYC to LAX, so you could do: Calgary - LAX - Nadi.
FWIW, I flew Air Canada on the Toronto - LAX legs and Air New Zealand for the LAX/Nadi legs. Both Air Canada & Air New Zealand are (were) Aeroplan affiliated airlines, so you can rack up a ton of Aeroplan points on the trip. Air New Zealand was SO MUCH BETTER than any of the North American airlines.
Curious, what was less than ideal on the Nai'a LOB?

I, too, am planning a trip to Fiji in 2021. Although I've never been there, some things I've found out are: Ask how your destination island/resort has recovered from Cyclone Winston in 2016 and Cyclone Harold in April 2020? Kadavu Island was heavily damaged by Cyclone Harold. Ask your resort, what is the condition of the reef? The cyclone season is from November through April and the rainy season is late November to late March. The dry season is April to October. The water is cooler then but the viz is better. A 5mm wetsuit is recommended. Volivoli Beach Resort is at the edge of the Bligh water, which is supposed to be great! On Taveuni, the Great White Wall in the Somosomo Strait is also highly recommended, but you need to time the diving around the scheduled dive days. You can find the schedule at taveunidiveresort.com. And the specific dive site information is at: https://www.gardenislandresort.com/assets/files/GIRdivesites-info.pdf. Taveuni also has the largest waterfalls in Fiji, Fuoma Falls.

I love shark diving and I love whales, so I'm going at the best time for the opportunity to see these animals. What I've learned is that the bull sharks are there all year, except Nov. to Jan. The tigers are there April to Nov. And the humpback migration is June to Oct.

If you're looking at the Waidroka Resort, they do not have nitrox.

Caradonna.com has been doing free webinars on various dive destinations and there's a couple that focus on Fiji.

Keep in mind, this is based on my research and not my experience, so other posters may have better or updated information.

Curious, what was less than ideal on the Nai'a LOB?
The boat (and the crew) were amazing! I can't speak highly enough about them.

The trip however was less than ideal. As they say, timing is everything. The week we went had what one might call "bad weather". It rained every day except one. (Unfortunate, but no big deal really.) One night however, we found ourselves right in the potential path of a cyclone. We had to find shelter now! We hunkered down in a lagoon surrounded by mountains and while we were missed by the worst part of the storm, what did hit us was pretty intense. Luckily, because of the mountains surrounding the lagoon, the most violent part of the storm passed overhead. We had a brutal thunderstorm but were spared from the cyclone's winds.

The next morning, for the first time all week, we awoke to mostly clear skies and a surface like glass. At depth however, the current was at times ripping (the DM miss-judged the current by 90degrees on one dive and as a result, we totally missed the dive site "E6"). Visibility after the storm was also pretty sketchy for the rest of the trip.

Like I said, the boat and her crew were amazing. The trip was less than ideal. Timing was everything. If we had gone the week before or the week after, the trip would have been outstanding (but I wouldn't have a great story about the storm). Oh, and FWIW, apparently cyclone season in Fiji is February.

The boat (and the crew) were amazing! I can't speak highly enough about them.

The trip however was less than ideal. As they say, timing is everything. The week we went had what one might call "bad weather". It rained every day except one. (Unfortunate, but no big deal really.) One night however, we found ourselves right in the potential path of a cyclone. We had to find shelter now! We hunkered down in a lagoon surrounded by mountains and while we were missed by the worst part of the storm, what did hit us was pretty intense. Luckily, because of the mountains surrounding the lagoon, the most violent part of the storm passed overhead. We had a brutal thunderstorm but were spared from the cyclone's winds.

The next morning, for the first time all week, we awoke to mostly clear skies and a surface like glass. At depth however, the current was at times ripping (the DM miss-judged the current by 90degrees on one dive and as a result, we totally missed the dive site "E6"). Visibility after the storm was also pretty sketchy for the rest of the trip.

Like I said, the boat and her crew were amazing. The trip was less than ideal. Timing was everything. If we had gone the week before or the week after, the trip would have been outstanding (but I wouldn't have a great story about the storm). Oh, and FWIW, apparently cyclone season in Fiji is February.
That's quite the tale! So glad you came out unscathed.

You cannot go wrong with Paradise Tavenui.The food and service is out of this world. I only have 2 concerns there. The drive there is just brutal as the road is one continuous pothole and it is a long boat ride to the Rainbow reef. The other operations nearer the reef have very good reputations and I have spoken with a number of people who have used them and been very happy. Currents can be a challenge but that is what makes the soft coral so beautiful.

That's quite the tale! So glad you came out unscathed.
Someone (I think it was Jimmy Buffett but I am not 100% sure) once said that the difference between a Tourist and a Traveler is how they react when things go sideways. A Tourist will freak out but a traveler comes home with a great story. I think I came home from Fiji with a great story.

Taveuni Ocean Sports and their resort, Nakia, are close to the best dive sites in the Rainbow Reef area. Plus they time the currents correctly for great dives on the Great White Wall.

We're booked to go back to Great Astrolabe Reef (Kokomo) in October 2021. IF there are good vaccines, IF they are used in Fiji and they let us in, IF we can get there and back. Just dunno. But sure hope so.

Just wondering if anyone has any guess whether Fiji will let fully vaccinated tourists in without quarantine in 2021? I know it depends on vaccine programs in Fiji, but have no idea how those will progress. We just can't go if we have to quarantine at Nadi because of the time involved. If we are not getting there for our October booking I would rather know for sure sooner rather than later.

Just wondering if anyone has any guess whether Fiji will let fully vaccinated tourists in without quarantine in 2021? I know it depends on vaccine programs in Fiji, but have no idea how those will progress. We just can't go if we have to quarantine at Nadi because of the time involved. If we are not getting there for our October booking I would rather know for sure sooner rather than later.
I highly doubt it will happen in 2021 at this point - I’m supposed to be there in late August (rescheduled from last August), but fear it will get pushed to 2022.

Back
Top Bottom