Personal Doppler bubble analysis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uwxplorer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Azoth: O'Dive - The first connected sensor for personalised dives

Lots to read, but in a nutshell it appears that the company is offering a Doppler sensor to be used after dives, data analysis being performed on a server and results returned to the user (too bad if you are in a remote location with no cell phone coverage, I suppose...).
Considering the ambiguities in interpreting bubble levels post dive, I'm not sure what an individual diver without a solid background in diving physiology can hope to get from this, but interesting development nonetheless.

I was using an 8 mhz doppler around 20 years ago and got pretty good at determining the lower Spencer bubble grades. At the time it was popular among tech and trimix divers because the only published tables were pretty suspect so we did our dives and listened afterwards to better understand how much deco stress we were subjecting ourselves to.
The 8mhz dopplers we were using were seldom over US$200, unless the diver was also a doctor and brought his Huntleigh fetal doppler along. Now dopplers (working and good) can be bought for around US$60.

Not sure I see any worthwhile advantage to paying US$ 500 to 700 more for someone else to listen to a recording of my bubbles since the determination of bubble grades is flexible at best.
If you can still count the individual bubbles you are probably not going to get hurt, but as soon as it starts sounding like a machine gun - you will probably need a helicopter flight real soon.

Michael

Curious how the different models actually change inside? Or is that the premium for 20m more deco/ascent analysis?

I was using an 8 mhz doppler around 20 years ago and got pretty good at determining the lower Spencer bubble grades. At the time it was popular among tech and trimix divers because the only published tables were pretty suspect so we did our dives and listened afterwards to better understand how much deco stress we were subjecting ourselves to.
The 8mhz dopplers we were using were seldom over US$200, unless the diver was also a doctor and brought his Huntleigh fetal doppler along. Now dopplers (working and good) can be bought for around US$60.

Not sure I see any worthwhile advantage to paying US$ 500 to 700 more for someone else to listen to a recording of my bubbles since the determination of bubble grades is flexible at best.
If you can still count the individual bubbles you are probably not going to get hurt, but as soon as it starts sounding like a machine gun - you will probably need a helicopter flight real soon.

Michael
Do you have a link to one of those cheap Doplers? Might make for an interesting educational toy for some between dive time filler.

Michael

I’d wager it’s a glorified curve fitting aka AI listening to your bubbles, getting a medical professional for that price would be not bad :wink:.

Irrespectively of whether to trust it or not, it would be great if it could work during the dive, sync with the computer, and measure your bubbles during ascents, stops etc. Guess not anytime soon :(

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom