COZUMEL-October Trip questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kristen8416

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for some advise. Just booked my first trip to Cozumel for the end of October. We are flying into Cancun and taking the Ferry. We were supposed to go to Bonaire, but that has been cancelled 4 times so I rebooked that for April with fingers crossed. I’ve been reading through a lot on here and have gotten some great restaurant advice. Looking to dive with Salty Endeavors based on recommendations here. Staying at the Miramar. I’m not going to lie, I’m a little nervous as I’ve never been to Cozumel.
Here are a few of my questions/concerns.
1. Safety? You hear stories but then I’ve also heard that Coz is safe just don’t be an idiot.
2. Best way to get to the Ferry?
3. Car rental? I was planning on renting a car, is it easy to do once you get to Coz?
4. Miramar has access to the ocean. Do you think it’s worth renting tanks and exploring there when we’re not boat diving?
5. Any must do dive locations I should request?
6. Any must do activities outside of diving?
7. Any votes for yummy eats. :) We just go to eat and dive.
I think that’s it for now and I really appreciate any tips or advise you may have for me.
Thanks!!!

1. I don't feel unsafe at all when I visit that part of MX.
2. Depends on your budget and comfort level with using public transportation; $12 PP for bus, around $50 for private. Easy either way
3. Never rented a car there but always stayed in town and never felt the need.
4. Diving there would be nice but not as nice as the reefs. Play it by ear.
5. They are all good. Since you are staying on the North side, try San Juan if you get a chance, brisk current and cool fields of finger coral.
6. The square downtown during the Day of the Dead.
7. Too many to list, hopefully they will all survive.

If past weather patterns repeat, expect rain in October. But, you’ll be getting wet anyway...
I have gone in mid to late October for the last 5 years and only had 1 day, 10-29-17, of missed diving due to a Norte. I don't recall much rain.

You'll love diving with Salty Endeavors. I've dived with a lot of Ops over the last couple of decades, and there are some that are just outstanding with the fierce competition, but I've known Henry from a group trip to Roatan yeas ago and followed his antics on FB as he went thru development as far away as Fiji, so I tried him a few years ago and been back a few times to dive with them. He and his staff really put a lot into pleasing customers.

1. Safety? You hear stories but then I’ve also heard that Coz is safe just don’t be an idiot.
Yep, with the odd exception, generally very safe. It's not locally acceptable to rob from tourists which are so needed on the island so even the bad guys will usually leave you alone. Most folks are very nice.

I've done the bus from Cancun to PDC a few times, and a few times by private van. For a couple it wouldn't cost much more to book private and makes the trip much nicer.

3. Car rental? I was planning on renting a car, is it easy to do once you get to Coz?
I have little experience at renting cars there as I stay in town. Staying up north you may find it more appealing. Isis Rentadora and Fiesta seem to be the most popular here on SB and on FB Cozumel groups. Isis rates include full insurance with 10% deductible; don't know about Fiesta. I'd contact both in advance to work out details.
  1. Parking is almost impossible downtown so ask for help on that.
  2. Don't leave anything tempting in view when you leave the car.
  3. If you have a problem/wreck, call your rental agent for personal help immediately.
  4. Use extra cautions, and then some more, with the one way streets and mopeds zipping around. Google maps gave me such directions as "Turn north" and I am like "Ok Lewis and Clark, which way is north?" Do tour the east side of the island one afternoon, but DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE.
4. Miramar has access to the ocean. Do you think it’s worth renting tanks and exploring there when we’re not boat diving?
I like diving up north some but only with a chase boat. The currents can be wicked up there and your next stop is Cuba. Besides, Henry's crew is going to take care of your gear, so I'd do more boat dives.

I've traveled to Cozumel by direct flight and also flying to Cancun and taking the ferry. By far, my personal preference is to fly direct. Right now, American is running a nonstop flight from Miami to Cozumel, an easy 2-hour flight. Flying to Cancun, I booked a private shuttle the one and only time I did this method. With delays at the Cancun airport, clearing customs, finding your transport van amongst a sea of vans at the airport, traffic and drive time to the ferry, take the ferry to Cozumel, take a taxi to the hotel, it took close to 6 hours. Not fun.

1. I'm a single female diver and I've been to Cozumel many times and I feel safe, but I also don't wander the streets at night and I walk with my shoulders back and head up with confidence. Don't look like a target.
2. Private ride to the ferry. Keep in mind the ferry schedule is not regular right now and I've read on the boards here that the ferries are packed with no social distancing.
3. I've never rented a car because I really don't want to drive when I'm on vacation on a small island. It depends on how much you plan on sightseeing. I go to Coz to dive, dive, dive and if I go into town, I'll get a taxi. Also, it's easier to take a taxi if you decide to have some cocktails. The rental cars are in pretty rough condition and not of the same standards as in the U.S. Parking on the island is a pain in the butt.
5. The reefs are on a rotating schedule of closures because of the stony coral tissue disease and to give the reef a rest to recover, so where you dive will be dependent on which sections are open.
7. I've heard there's still lots of restaurants closed, so if your resort is not all inclusive or doesn't have an on-site restaurant, ask around for some recommendations. One of my favorites, though, is Taqueria El Pique at 30th and 2nd. Excellent food and good prices. They only take cash, preferably pesos.

U.S. dollars are widely accepted in Cozumel, but I try to pay for most things with pesos, including dive crew tips.

1. Safe.
2. Bus or private transport at higher cost.
3. Easy to rent vehicles when here. Consider full insurance as fender benders happen all the time. In town off main streets, if you are in doubt if you need to stop at an intersection, do it anyway.
4. If you dive from Miramar (condos in the north I presume), plan your dive well as there are currents that may not run exactly north/south, be faster, and know your exit points. Watch for boat and jetski traffic - it's picking up. If you haven't drift dived before and since you've not been here before, think about what you're doing before you do it. False bravado will get you on SB but not for your vacation photos.
5. All dives will be good.
6. Up to you - don't know what you like.
7. Many restaurants opening up. I am not a foodie but I love Guidos, like New Especias, Casa Mision is good but not the same as when it first opened (when the lions were there), La Cocay, among others in a list too long to mention and not knowing your tastes. Our meals are sit down for a couple of hours. Here soon I am going to go to Tony Botes (Tony B's) new place since he has been making sausages for us and other meats. And have some beers. We're looking for a replacement for the Pub that moved south (miss the pot pies).

Yellow status starts 7 Sep but I can't say what it will be like in Oct - more open I suspect.

There should be some water and sewer line repairs on the north end if they stick to schedules.

If you are driving to the marina (Fonatur), parking is still a mess.

Looking for some advise. Just booked my first trip to Cozumel for the end of October. We are flying into Cancun and taking the Ferry. We were supposed to go to Bonaire, but that has been cancelled 4 times so I rebooked that for April with fingers crossed. I’ve been reading through a lot on here and have gotten some great restaurant advice. Looking to dive with Salty Endeavors based on recommendations here. Staying at the Miramar. I’m not going to lie, I’m a little nervous as I’ve never been to Cozumel.
Here are a few of my questions/concerns.
5. Any must do dive locations I should request?
6. Any must do activities outside of diving?
7. Any votes for yummy eats. :) We just go to eat and dive.
I think that’s it for now and I really appreciate any tips or advise you may have for me.
Thanks!!!

You’ll love it here, very safe and super chill.

Really not a big deal flying from Cancun, I’m here right now and came that way, if you need a driver this guy is highly recommended by a lot of people on Scubaboard and I’ve used him a lot, Johnny +52 998 201 1720 $40 each way. The fairies aren’t as frequent now so if you end up having more than a two hour wait, he can even drop you off at a beach club in Playa nearby to spend some time. That’s what I did on the way, I had some lunch and a massage.

Miramar is about 5 minutes north of where I’m staying and it’s a really nice and quiet area. Short cab ride into town or you can rent some bikes.

Tons of great restaurants but make sure to check out Kooben Laab, Guidos and Bucanos at Night for higher end dining.

If you’re staying at Miramar you might want to also consider diving with Aldora because you can board the boat and get dropped off at Villa Aldora which is much closer to Miramar. It’s a few minute cab ride or maybe 10 to 15 minute walk where the other shops will pick you up in town or in the marina near town.

All the diving is great but make sure to get to Maracaibo and Punta Sur Sur.

Enjoy!

1. Correct, safe but don't be stupid.
2. I fly direct.
3. Depends on where you are staying. IMO far south yes, in town no.
4. See #3; I don't know where Miramar is. Cozumel shore diving in general is just OK compared to boat diving, but for many it is worth it as an adjunct. If there is a sand beach where you are staying the shore diving likely will be less good than if it's ironshore (rocky).
5. As others have said, they are all excellent. You will likely be diving and staying with folks who have been there before; experienced Cozumel divers will be able to tell you far more details about the various sites than any of us can post here.
6. Take a taxi around the island for the day; you could do it in a rent car but taxis are cheap and know the drill, and you don't have to worry about driving. Hang out and stare at the water. Advice: don't rent scooters.
7. In normal times the excellent eateries in town are numerous but these are not normal times. Look at the other threads on this subforum for more information.

You'll love diving with Salty Endeavors. I've dived with a lot of Ops over the last couple of decades, and there are some that are just outstanding with the fierce competition, but I've known Henry from a group trip to Roatan yeas ago and followed his antics on FB as he went thru development as far away as Fiji, so I tried him a few years ago and been back a few times to dive with them. He and his staff really put a lot into pleasing customers.

Yep, with the odd exception, generally very safe. It's not locally acceptable to rob from tourists which are so needed on the island so even the bad guys will usually leave you alone. Most folks are very nice.

I've done the bus from Cancun to PDC a few times, and a few times by private van. For a couple it wouldn't cost much more to book private and makes the trip much nicer.

I have little experience at renting cars there as I stay in town. Staying up north you may find it more appealing. Isis Rentadora and Fiesta seem to be the most popular here on SB and on FB Cozumel groups. Isis rates include full insurance with 10% deductible; don't know about Fiesta. I'd contact both in advance to work out details.
  1. Parking is almost impossible downtown so ask for help on that.
  2. Don't leave anything tempting in view when you leave the car.
  3. If you have a problem/wreck, call your rental agent for personal help immediately.
  4. Use extra cautions, and then some more, with the one way streets and mopeds zipping around. Google maps gave me such directions as "Turn north" and I am like "Ok Lewis and Clark, which way is north?" Do tour the east side of the island one afternoon, but DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE.

I like diving up north some but only with a chase boat. The currents can be wicked up there and your next stop is Cuba. Besides, Henry's crew is going to take care of your gear, so I'd do more boat dives.

Thanks! Henry has been very responsive. Appreciate the feedback

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom