Atomic Cristo-Lube removal I only dive warm water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Open Ocean Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is it normal for some of the lube to pass the piston into the swivel? I’ve never packed an Environmental chamber but mine looked lite on lube. Also noticed some clear lube on the outside of the reg.

I was at my LDS looking for a trim ring to replace the environmental band, the tech showed me a spring from an Atomic he serviced. He said air pockets had developed that trapped water in the cap and what happen to the spring, it was corroded and broke in-half. It was stored for some time in between uses.

I was thinkIng this could be a problem if you have your regs serviced every 2 to 3 years, and don’t maintain the packing yourself in between services.

Any thoughts or experience with this issue? Do you maintain the packing yourself in between service?

Is it normal for some of the lube to pass the piston into the swivel? I’ve never packed an Environmental chamber but mine looked lite on lube. Also noticed some clear lube on the outside of the reg.

I was at my LDS looking for a trim ring to replace the environmental band, the tech showed me a spring from an Atomic he serviced. He said air pockets had developed that trapped water in the cap and what happen to the spring, it was corroded and broke in-half. It was stored for some time in between uses.

I was thinkIng this could be a problem if you have your regs serviced every 2 to 3 years, and don’t maintain the packing yourself in between services.

Any thoughts or experience with this issue? Do you maintain the packing yourself in between service?
If improperly packed there can be pockets, there should never be lube migration into the LP side if the regulator is maintained properly. This can be easily remedied with sealed diaphragm regulators but a sealed piston helps keep the sealing surfaces in better condition longer in warm water too, some carrier oils can seep out past the environmental seal, it the nature of Teflon bearing (based) grease.

If improperly packed there can be pockets, there should never be lube migration into the LP side if the regulator is maintained properly. This can be easily remedied with sealed diaphragm regulators but a sealed piston helps keep the sealing surfaces in better condition longer in warm water too, some carrier oils can seep out past the environmental seal, it the nature of Teflon bearing (based) grease.
upload_2020-9-5_13-24-14.jpeg

First time I’ve opened it, did have my LDS in Florida service it a year or so go.

If your only diving warm water I would install the non sealed trim ring and clean out the grease. I have seen a few of the sealed units with corrosion inside when they come in for service. If packed and rinsed properly it shouldn’t happen but it’s not uncommon. I don’t know how old the regulator was with the broken spring but I believe there was a spring update to address cracked main springs. I’d have to look it up but if I recall it was older units.

Screenshot_20200905-111122_Chrome_1.jpg

That's just excessive lube on either/both piston head o-ring and turret threads.

As for the spring issue, improper packing has been associated with rust and failure since the Mk10 thirty years ago. Doing something improperly doesn't make the process wrong.
And yes, there was a bad batch of springs. Atomic had recommended at least once in seminars, that you replace any spring with no etched code, or any spring with a code below Nxx.

View attachment 609868
That's just excessive lube on either/both piston head o-ring and turret threads.

As for the spring issue, improper packing has been associated with rust and failure since the Mk10 thirty years ago. Doing something improperly doesn't make the process wrong.
And yes, there was a bad batch of springs. Atomic had recommended at least once that you replace any spring with no etched code, or any spring with a code below Nxx.
My spring is etched “N10”

Here’s what it looked like when I opened it.

upload_2020-9-5_14-35-3.jpeg

upload_2020-9-5_14-35-28.jpeg

Looks well filled. If you insist on removing it and “unsealing” it all you need do is wipe all of the lube out, make sure you re-lube the piston o ring, make sure to use a piston bullet and put it back together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom