Should I dive in shallow waters without a certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course I agree it's a bad idea. Yes, people dived before there were any certifications. My older brother dived in the '60s without a cert. and got his tanks filled at 2 gas stations. Different times. My certified freind dived often and taught his wife (decades ago), though he wasn't an instructor. She said the instruction was basically being handed a second stage and being told "here, breathe from this". I suppose if you know some basic physics, like never hold your breath and maybe a couple of others, diving to like 10-20' wouldn't be high risk. I dive all the time solo to usually 30' or less without giving it a thought. It's basically glorified snorkeling.
Still, why not just wait 'til the money for the OW course comes available? Then you also can travel and get air without needing your compressor, considering baggage fees nowadays....

After OW certification I dove with some experienced tech divers and they gave me pointers. However, there is a difference between buddies showing you how to dive versus a qualified scuba coach. I'm sure there are folks that dive after watching a you tube session. I've been certified for 5 years and I would say with 100% certainty that everyone should go through the certification process. Note that the OW course is a start. It takes years of diving to gain the experiences necessary to be adequate and even after that stuff can happen. Be prepared and dive safe.

You are going about this all wrong. If you are only going down 10', then there really is no reason for donning the SCUBA gear. You should snorkel at the surface, and dive down when you want to get a closer look. If you can't do that on a single breath, you really need to evaluate if diving is right for you, as there may be a medical issue that would be contra-indicative to diving.

I appreciate the enthusiasm for diving. Trust me, I understand where it's coming from. However, you need to temper your enthusiasm so that you can enjoy diving. Start with some research into what this is going to cost, and budget accordingly. I understand that you already acquired some gear. Hold off until you've completed your training before getting anything else. Diving is not an inexpensive hobby. Not only in the initial purchase, but in the service and maintenance as well.

While the risks of some diving related conditions are reduced by shallow depths, for others there is no reduction. In fact, the most severe conditions are most likely to occur in relatively shallow conditions.

Slow down, take the class, learn from the instructor and enjoy your dives. Then come back here and look for gear recommendations, or even used gear for sale.

You are going about this all wrong. If you are only going down 10', then there really is no reason for donning the SCUBA gear. You should snorkel at the surface, and dive down when you want to get a closer look. If you can't do that on a single breath, you really need to evaluate if diving is right for you, as there may be a medical issue that would be contra-indicative to diving.

I appreciate the enthusiasm for diving. Trust me, I understand where it's coming from. However, you need to temper your enthusiasm so that you can enjoy diving. Start with some research into what this is going to cost, and budget accordingly. I understand that you already acquired some gear. Hold off until you've completed your training before getting anything else. Diving is not an inexpensive hobby. Not only in the initial purchase, but in the service and maintenance as well.

While the risks of some diving related conditions are reduced by shallow depths, for others there is no reduction. In fact, the most severe conditions are most likely to occur in relatively shallow conditions.

Slow down, take the class, learn from the instructor and enjoy your dives. Then come back here and look for gear recommendations, or even used gear for sale.
Agree on all points. Well, almost all. I just did a couple of dives today 12' & 10'. I used to do the snorkel thing and dive down. But as a shell collector I can stay down and find more (I found none today). But of course, it's not a good reason to dive any depth uncertified.

I am in a similar position as the original poster. for the moment i've decided to each myself scuba. Tho someday i might get my certification if I need it. But i have my own breathable compressor, tanks, BCD and all the equipment, and learned to rebuild and service all the regulators, and have a pool to practice in. And it's been fun. I had to watch multiple online classes to understand what techniques to learn, and then i got a few tips from my family who are already certified, but i've been taking it slow and have been on a few shallow dives in the past couple weeks while i'm getting a feel for everything and plan on going again this weekend.

I tend to beat a dead horse, but I'm curious why some would go to all the trouble and expense to learn scuba on their own and not spend the $300-$500 to just get OW certified. Now, one may actually already own a compressor beforehand, but there is still the expense of equipment and time involved to learn "all you need to know" online or elsewhere. With the OW cert. you can get air fills if need be as well-- like if you fly somewhere.

You can do a lot of things on your own and do OK I guess. If you buy the Rescue Diver manual you can read about all this stuff and probably practice it with a buddy, bypassing the extra expense of the course with an instructor. I have said before that even describing some of the rescue skills in the OW manual (with a disclaimer perhaps) is better than nothing at all. Better than being told "establish buoyancy, drag victim to safety, do CPR--if you know how..."-- not an exact quote from the OW manual, so don't quote me, but that is about what it says.

BUT, taking the Rescue Course is better-- and easier.

Hello Tyler! Getting certified is ALOT cheaper then getting your own gear! Even if you get everything 2nd hand.
I would defenitly go for the OW first!

I did my OW 16 years ago, went for a dive every time I had money / felt like it afterwards.
Finally after 16 years I have the money and commitment. Now I finally bought my own gear, got my AOW, EANx and signed up for Deep Diver :D

I am in a similar position as the original poster. for the moment i've decided to each myself scuba. Tho someday i might get my certification if I need it.

You start with a wrong concept: "Tho someday i might get my certification if I need it".
The training you get during the OW course is NOT for being certified, is for being SAFE. The card is just a proof that you did reach the level of self-control and knowledge which make you able to dive safely (in shallow water, of course, for an OW cert).
You must proof to be safe primarily to yourself, and then to your beloved ones. Proofing it to the shop renting you equipment should be the last of your concerns...
So you do NOT need a certification. You need to be safe, and you need it just now. The money you give to your instructor should not be seen as the fee for getting the card, it should be seen as a good investment for protecting your life.
Unfortunately I see this approach every day with my students (I teach at the University). They think that the goal of studying is to pass the exam, possibly with a good score. They do not think that in reality the goal is to LEARN, and the score and the exam are just tools for stimulating the learning process...
People confuse tools and goals, it happens frequently, and it is happening also to you. So I invite you to reassess your priorities and to focus on what really matters in your life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom